What Is A Good Camera...

well ive been using my parents digital camera for a while taking random pictures of random things, but i really love black and white pictures and my parents camera just doesnt do that,

is there any digital camera's that are 350 bucks or less that are good as high a mega pixel as possible, but with alot of dif. settings, and one that can take black and white?

Fuji S7000 will capture images in monochrome and will output images at 12 megapixel, not to mention a 1cm super macro mode, but as the posts above say it is always better to capture the image in colour and desaturate it later in one of the image editing programs like Adobe's excellent Photoshop Elements, that way you have full creative control over selective desaturation and intensity/contrast of the embedded colour channels even within monochrome, this would allow you much greater creative control than relying on the cameras inbuilt algorithms and, if recreating the feel of the superb silver oxide fine art film prints would be a far more suitable route.

edit, if you want to experiment with black and white, and you can't find anything on your pc to convert the image with, try this free download from Kodak

http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0.html?q...&search=+Go%21+

Edited by guzzidom

the Fuji S5100(i have one) should run about $350-$400, great camera, 4MP, 10x optical zoom, video at 640x480 with sound, that works really well, as good as a camcorder

i found one for 342 bucks

so you guys would suggest that? the fuji s5100 because im looking at buying this week, just dont know what a good camera is. what is the battery life like on it? thats a huge prob with the camera ive been using that my parents have. Runs out of battery very quickly.

The S5100 is just about the most economical camera out there power wise, giving around 350 shots (variously with flash, using the lcd etc) on a set of std good quality AA batteries and as many as 650 on a set of 2300 NiMh rechargeables if you avoid using the lcd to frame the picture (I know this for a fact as my wife owns one!)

Edit.... have a review linky

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/fuji_s5100.html

Edited by guzzidom

Canon SD200 is a little pricey in terms of price per megapixel at $250 and 3MP, the SD300 is a 4MP model and is about $325 i believe.

But when it comes to compactness (is that a word?) and sleek design, i think it takes the cake. i find 3MP is more than enough for non-professional photography purposes and i love how easily it fits in my pocket, you will be amazed at how portable it is. personally i think those round bulges that most digicams have one side is very ugly, i guess thats where the batteries go. these use a rechargable battery card that comes with a charger. it also uses SD cards, these two features allow for a nice geometric design.

as far as grey pictures, like many have said, this is one of the most basic tasks in photoshop.

Edited by invidious

I got my girlfriend the Olympus Stylus 410 from futureshop... I know its futureshop and all but its a 4mp camera, amazing pictures, tons of features, and the cover slides over to protect the lens, i've dropped it so many times and its always worked perfect. Well built.

Newegg for $250US, not bad

Futureshop (canadian) for $199 Cnd, thats like $150 american, im sure it can be found for a reasonable price somewheres down there... :blink:

The S5100 is just about the most economical camera out there power wise, giving around 350 shots (variously with flash, using the lcd etc) on a set of std  good quality AA batteries and as many as 650 on a set of 2300 NiMh rechargeables if you avoid using the lcd to frame the picture (I know this for a fact as my wife owns one!)

Edit.... have a review linky

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/fuji_s5100.html

456323[/snapback]

yes! the lithium 2300maH rechargeables are a must, i love mine, they last as long or longer than the expensive lithium single use ones, finally rechargeable batteries worth using!

check out wolfcamera.com(i think same as Ritz Camera), their prices are good but you also get a lot of stuff with it like another larger memory card, etc.......it uses the most expensive memory though, that's its only shortcoming, but if you can afford it, its great

another good thing, about $20, the Fuji xD USB memory reader, doubles as a USB drive and saves the batteries for taking pics instead of downloading images to your pc

this cam also has RAWCCD support, a feature usually only found on higher end cameras