O(V)eGA_l2el)'s Content

There have been 30 items by O(V)eGA_l2el) (Search limited from 20-March 16)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#1975262 Laptop recommendations

Posted by O(V)eGA_l2el) on 29 November 2011 - 10:03 AM in Miscellaneous Hardware

I need recommendations for laptop?

Primary Use:
Work - testing Windows and Linux virtual machines, scripting, etc
Occasional gaming

Key features:
best possible battery life (4 hours or better is good)
Weight (around 5.7lbs)
Wireless NIC (anything but Broadcom chips --prefer Atheros)

Budget: $650
Past Experience:
I enjoy using Lenovo laptops; I’ve found them to be robust with great performance.

Possible Purchase:
Lenovo IdeaPad Z570 (1024AWU) $649

Asus A53SV-NH51 $599

Acer Aspire AS5755G-6823 $549

#1902818 Firefox Media Plugin Stopped working.

Posted by O(V)eGA_l2el) on 16 March 2011 - 02:36 PM in Software

Firefox ver: 3.6.15
Previous Flash ver: 10.2
Current Flash ver: 10.3.180.42 (beta)

I ran into the same problem with Firefox and IE. After some trial and error, I downloaded flash (beta version) via the following URL. Flash video and audio functions properly. :thumbsup:

Click “Download Latest Version” in upper right-hand corner to download Flash Player ver.10.3 (beta)
Flash Player beta ver 10.3

[Correction]
After uninstalling previous Flash versions, I installed the latest (official 10.2) version of Flash. Flash videos play.

#1878027 Any putty connection manager alternatives out there?

Posted by O(V)eGA_l2el) on 06 January 2011 - 09:02 PM in Networking and Internet

Version: 0.7.1 Beta b:136
Used with: Portable Putty

Any one know of any utilities that provide the same functionality as the Putty Connection Manager. I am using the version listed above, but was curious if something more recent exists. If I am not mistaken, this project is no longer in development. The functionality I am looking for are tabs, session listings, and the ability to show various open sessions in panels (examples are in the link below).

Putty Add-On Tools

#1871544 GRUB on USB

Posted by O(V)eGA_l2el) on 15 December 2010 - 02:08 PM in OS: Non-Microsoft

If you want to install a Linux distribution on a usb flash drive, try "UNetBootin." The GUI is very user friendly.

UNetbootin

#1867863 Need to purchase an s-video IN / vga OUT cable or adapter

Posted by O(V)eGA_l2el) on 03 December 2010 - 05:48 AM in Gaming

Anyone know of any vendors that sell s-video IN to vga OUT cables? A few days ago, I purchased an Asus VH236H 23” LCD monitor for gaming. Currently, I have an Xbox 360(vga) and PS3(hdmi) connected to it, but I want to also connect my Dreamcast(svideo), PS2(svideo), and Sega Saturn(svideo) to this display as well. A vga IN/s-video OUT cable does not work in this situation. Before this purchase, I had my Dreamcast, PS2, and Sega Saturn connected via s-video cables into an AV (svideo/composite) switch. Next, the switch s-video output was connected to an RF modulator which was outputting to a “tube” CRT T.V. [This T.V. only has a coaxial port; it was released in 1995]
[This was my methodology]

Dreamcast, PS2, and Sega Saturn connected via s-video to s-video switch
Switch’s s-video output connected to s-video IN/ vga OUT cable (or adapter) to Asus VH236H.
If need be, I can solder.

I think I have found a solution for my setup.
svideo IN vga OUT converter

#1835538 linux>no gui>torrent & DC programs

Posted by O(V)eGA_l2el) on 01 August 2010 - 09:51 AM in Software

If you want to manage torrent files via a virtual terminal (command line), I highly recommend "rtorrent." Links are below to the main website and a useful setup article.

http://libtorrent.rakshasa.no/ (Check the bottom of page for your distribution specific package)

http://polishlinux.o...nt-console-p2p/

I have used "rtorrent" for years with no problems under Debian and Fedora distributions.

#1817814 Russian Cheerleaders

Posted by O(V)eGA_l2el) on 01 June 2010 - 03:57 PM in Entertainment

Is it just me or do some of the cheerleaders look as if they had plastic surgery? (ie: nose jobs)

Some of the noses look abnormally pointy.

#1799009 6 cell or larger laptop battery request

Posted by O(V)eGA_l2el) on 08 April 2010 - 02:38 PM in Miscellaneous Hardware

Anyone know of any vendors that have laptop batteries, 6 or larger cells,that are compatible with the following laptop?

Lenovo G530 (3000 line) Type: 4446-35U

Initial battery Specs: MN: L08O6C02 11.1V 53Wh Li-Ion 5300mAh(6c)

#1795373 [WTB] Skt 939 Motherboard!!!

Posted by O(V)eGA_l2el) on 29 March 2010 - 02:17 PM in OCC Market Place

Have you checked pricewatch.com for Socket 939 motherboards?

Pricewatch.com Socket 939

#1794276 Which Linux Distro Do You Use?

Posted by O(V)eGA_l2el) on 26 March 2010 - 05:47 PM in OS: Non-Microsoft

Debian 5.0 on Lenovo G530 laptop
Fedora 11 (yes, I need to update at some point -- I know) on server

#1765212 XPS document writer

Posted by O(V)eGA_l2el) on 08 January 2010 - 04:52 PM in OS: Microsoft

Do you receive an error when attempting to print as *.xps ? An alternative is to install "Cutepdf", link is below, and save your receipts as *.pdf files. I have used "Cutepdf" for a long time and have had no issues using it.

http://www.cutepdf.c.../CuteWriter.exe

#1709441 Paper recommendations for printing laptop stickers

Posted by O(V)eGA_l2el) on 21 August 2009 - 05:04 PM in Graphics and Photography

Inkjet printer: Canon Pixma IP4200

Anyone know what type of paper is being used to print laptop stickers not laptop “skins.” By stickers, I mean small square or rectangular operating system and/or processor stickers on left and right sides of laptops. My reason for asking is that I would like to print out my own custom laptop stickers.
Should I use inkjet waterproof vinyl or something else?

#1684062 Xbox 360 Arcade & Pro | Locate Jasper motherboard

Posted by O(V)eGA_l2el) on 30 May 2009 - 09:52 PM in Gaming

After some research, I read that the latest Xbox 360 Arcade models have the latest Jasper based motherboards with 65nm CPU & GPU. Per my research, this new Jasper model runs cooler and in turn is more reliable. If I am not mistaken, those models with manufacturing dates of November 2008 or later & power supplies rated at 12.1A on 12 Volt lines contain Jasper motherboards. Is this correct? I have not seen any Xbox 360 Pro systems with later manufacturing dates. If this is the case, I may purchase a 360 Arcade and hard drive separately.

Jasper example:

MFR Date 2008-11-07
(Shown in lower left-hand of box) PSU: 150W 12,1A 12V
Lot NO: 0845X
TEAM FDOU

Falcon example:
July 2008
PSU: 175W 14,2A 12V

Anyone utilizing a 7200 RPM hard drive with the Xbox 360? If so, is there any performance difference compared to 5400 RPM?

#1677610 Taking the Server+ Exam next week.

Posted by O(V)eGA_l2el) on 07 May 2009 - 07:04 PM in OCC Member's Lounge

The best way to be successful in regards to certification tests is to get as much hands on experience as possible. For example, install Windows servers in virtual environments and play around with as much as possible (group policies, administration, domains, various profiles, etc)

#1657196 Monitor Folding service on remote machines ?

Posted by O(V)eGA_l2el) on 15 March 2009 - 10:02 AM in OCC Teams

With my friends' permission, I was able to load “[email protected]” commandline version 6.23 on their machines. So far running as a service is flawless; "FahCore_78.exe" is showing appropriate CPU utilization (98%) under task manager. The logfile “FAHlog” under directory "C:\Program Files\Folding\" shows progress. My question is what options do I have to monitor the progress without going into "C:\Program Files\Folding." Is software available for local and remote monitoring? On my local network, I run command line versions via "Startup" folder shortcuts and view progress via command prompt.

#1654485 Admin Rights

Posted by O(V)eGA_l2el) on 09 March 2009 - 02:25 PM in OS: Microsoft

If this computer is school property, the school should have some sort of Information Technology staff member(s) taking care of that issue.

#1654482 Watchmen (2009)

Posted by O(V)eGA_l2el) on 09 March 2009 - 02:11 PM in Entertainment

Before watching the movie, I read the comics. Basically, a good comic became a good movie. Some parts of the story, in the movie, were different compared to the comics such as those parts involving Rorschach and the doctor. Overall, I highly recommend people read the comics before watching movie. People will get a better understanding of the "crimebusters" past.

#1647600 Linux & BSD

Posted by O(V)eGA_l2el) on 21 February 2009 - 05:29 AM in OS: Non-Microsoft

Debian 4R6 (I plan to test ver.5 soon)
Fedora 8 (overall file, ssh, etc server)

#1643300 Xbox 360 Controller For Windows ??

Posted by O(V)eGA_l2el) on 10 February 2009 - 08:57 PM in Gaming

Joytech's Neo SE Controller is what I currently own. After installing Xbox 360 controller driver for Windows XP, found at the microsoft website below, it worked flawlessly with various games. The Neo SE controller works flawlessly, no button configuration required, with the following games I have:
Spiderman Web of Shadows, Gears of War, and Assassin's Creed

Assassin's Creed did require a few button configurations, but it was a quick fix.

http://www.joytech.n...er#supportfiles

Windows XP SP2 drivers
http://www.microsoft...d...SP1&lang=en

Note: Neo SE controller costs about $20 via Wal-Mart

I look forward to Street Fighter 4 for Windows now that I have this controller :)

#1641666 Want To Try My Hand At Linux

Posted by O(V)eGA_l2el) on 07 February 2009 - 05:10 PM in OS: Non-Microsoft

The links below will direct you to Ubuntu, Fedora, and Mandriva downloads, respectively. All three have bootable images that can be "burnt" to cd or dvd; said bootable images can be tested without installation. Each one is very user friendly.

http://www.ubuntu.co...ubuntu/download
http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora
http://www.mandriva.com/