Zelig's Content

There have been 143 items by Zelig (Search limited from 18-March 16)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#1556532 LanPary eX & Vista

Posted by Zelig on 08 May 2008 - 04:11 AM in OS: Microsoft

Sorry I'm late with the reply, if you still need them, check these out:

http://www.nforcersh...99.html?start=0

#1553615 Vista hates firefox

Posted by Zelig on 12 April 2008 - 03:11 AM in OS: Microsoft

Control program > default programs > set default programs

Make sure Firefox is set as the default for everything that IE would be normally.

#1553066 The Death of Windows XP is Coming!

Posted by Zelig on 07 April 2008 - 05:29 AM in OS: Microsoft

If Vista was so great why are MS pushing the Windows 7 next year line. Seems like a good way to kill an existing product by talking up the release of a soon to be, better product.

Microsoft aims to push out all their operating systems within a much shorter timeframe than Vista. Vista had a development time of over 60 months, because of the 2004/2005 development reset. For comparison, XP had a development time of about 18 months, and Windows 7 is scheduled for about 24 months.

The delay in the release of Vista was far longer (5 years) than between any prior versions of Windows (next longest delays were 3 years for 2.0->3.0 and 95->98). MS doesn't want to have another OS take 5 years before an upgrade. (Whether they can actually manage it is a whole other issue.)

#1552997 The Death of Windows XP is Coming!

Posted by Zelig on 06 April 2008 - 01:38 PM in OS: Microsoft

you'd have a hard time convincing me of that and I go to the popular forums like pcper, anandtech, hardocp, overclockersclub, etc, and always the theme is the same: XP rules, Vista sucks moldy dog balls.

If there are forums out there bigger than these that say opposite, then I'd like to know who they are. Little forums with 1,000 members don't count.

I think it depends on what you're looking for, I browse anandtech and hardocp, and they seem pretty even-handed overall. (ie. old computers should be using XP, quad cores with >4gb of ram should be using Vista)

Of other forums I visit, driverheaven is overall pro-Vista. Neither legitreviews nor hardwarecanucks is anti-Vista overall. (Yeah, I know they're small, but you've said you like the LR reviews in the past, and HWC has awesome reviews) This is by far the most anti-Vista forum I frequent.

#1552831 The Death of Windows XP is Coming!

Posted by Zelig on 05 April 2008 - 01:45 PM in OS: Microsoft

Extended XP availability is all about profits.

Of course it is, as a publically traded company, MS is legally obligated to maximize profits.

#1552643 Best 64-bit OS?

Posted by Zelig on 04 April 2008 - 07:38 AM in OS: Microsoft

Must've been some proprietary apps and HP printers/scanners. HP has refused to provide drivers for XP X64

The only thing I can't run in XP X64 is the TI-connect software for my graphing calculator; my network laser printer had 64-bit drivers available.

Some of the non-working software was proprietary, some was open source. Regardless of the nature of the software, I use the software that works best for my needs, and an OS loses a lot of use to me if it can't run the software that best suites my purposes.

From the top of my head, hardware of mine that didn't work nicely with xp x64 (other than my hp printer, and my ti-89): Audigy 2 ZS, Hauppauge HVR-950, iaudio 7, Panasonic voice recorder, Linksys usb network adaptor, Logitech Harmony remote, nvidia network adaptor.

#1552635 Best 64-bit OS?

Posted by Zelig on 04 April 2008 - 05:38 AM in OS: Microsoft

Of the two, Vista 64-bit, no question.

There are situations where my first choice of OS would be XP 32-bit, Vista 32-bit, or Vista 64-bit, but never XP x64. I ran it on my main desktop rig for a few months, and it was a constant struggle to get my hardware/software all working for it, switching to Vista (as a Windows OS, 64-bit Linux OS's have been working beatifully for years) was a huge relief.

#1552138 Switching to XP64 - Any Suggestions?

Posted by Zelig on 01 April 2008 - 04:29 AM in OS: Microsoft

Only thing critical that does not work on any 64 bit os.....is my cisco vpn for work.........(they get cranky when i can't remote in and fix what they break) :eek:

Yeah, damn Cisco, that's the ONLY app that I still keep a 32-bit VM around for.

#1551804 Switching to XP64 - Any Suggestions?

Posted by Zelig on 29 March 2008 - 10:53 AM in OS: Microsoft

Only compatibility issues I've run into are some old games. Max Payne and Alpha Centauri are the two I'd very much like to play again.

Other than that, it's worked fine with my (albeit new) scanner and printer.

Alpha Centauri works fine for me in Vista 64-bit, I imagine it shouldn't be much harder to make function in XP.

Posted Image

I seem to recall playing Max Payne as well, not sure about that one though, the crappy widescreen support really killed off that game for me.

#1550859 STOP errors, V64 - Im exhausted

Posted by Zelig on 21 March 2008 - 10:49 AM in OS: Microsoft

Remove all but three sticks of your memory. Download and install MS Hotfix KB929777.

Just for reference, SP1 includes this fix, might as well install SP1 instead of just the hotfix.

#1550534 Vista 32bit and 64bit SP1 released.

Posted by Zelig on 19 March 2008 - 08:48 AM in OS: Microsoft

Not much point in slipstreaming SP1 though, since there are preintegrated discs/images available, and MS includes vsp1cln.exe to clean out the SP1 installation files and pre-SP1 files.

#1544804 query on Patriot Signature RAM 1GB sticks

Posted by Zelig on 11 February 2008 - 06:56 AM in Processors, Motherboards and Memory

I would love to get 4 GB running! Do you play many games ... I'm wondering about stability under hard load?

Not much gaming other than Civ4, from lack of time, no stability problems though.

Prime95, going on 22 hours:

Posted Image

Command rate has to be set to 2T, and all 4 sticks have to be identical.

#1544727 query on Patriot Signature RAM 1GB sticks

Posted by Zelig on 10 February 2008 - 03:08 PM in Processors, Motherboards and Memory

This one is also very good but if you really want to spend the money I would recommend the above Mushkin kit.
http://www.ncix.com/.....CZ Technology

I've had great luck with those sticks, this is with 2.5v:

Posted Image

Of course, YMMV.

#1544373 Raid setup in Vista

Posted by Zelig on 07 February 2008 - 12:53 PM in Processors, Motherboards and Memory

http://www.nforcersh...ng-vt66299.html

There's pretty much everything you'll need for nforce4 RAID in Vista.

#1544209 Replace chipset fan

Posted by Zelig on 06 February 2008 - 08:53 AM in Processors, Motherboards and Memory

Right now I am using the maglev fan. But, I did have a Thermalright HR-05 SLI on there at one point too. The problem with these is that with some video cards, they won't fit. If you put an 8800 in your board, you aren't going to get it to fit arond that stock cooler. Even more annoying is that the OEM maglev fan will be covered up almost completely by the 8800 unless you put the 8800 in the lower PCIe slot (configed as 8x).

Fits alright for me on my SLI-D board, I'm currently using an HR-05 SLI with an 8800 GTS G92.

It can fit underneath the card, or over it, if the cpu cooler doesn't intefere.

#1543884 finally my turn for some adivce on my 3800+ X2

Posted by Zelig on 02 February 2008 - 03:06 PM in Processors, Motherboards and Memory

180 and 160 divider wont even boot.. it only works when i use 140 divider and lower.or use 233 divider-which im using now for 2.54Ghz. but yea let see wat others will say.

Try playing with the DRAM Drive Strength and the DRAM Data Drive Strength to get the dividers working.

I'm using Weak 4 and 1 (50% reduction) respectively, for the system in my sig.

#1543505 Topped out on 3800 X2 ..?

Posted by Zelig on 29 January 2008 - 09:26 PM in Processors, Motherboards and Memory

I never had any problems with RAM dividers not working randomly or otherwise. My resulting RAM frequency was always exactly what Gogar's or A64MemFreq calculated it out to be.

Can you expound on that a little bit?

I meant that with certain dividers, everything will hang or reboot after "verifying dmi pool data".

It's not random, as in actually random, I just don't happen to know exactly what settings cause certain dividers to work or not work at different speeds.

All my testing was done with 4gb of ram on this board, which may have affected what worked, and what didn't.

#1543498 Topped out on 3800 X2 ..?

Posted by Zelig on 29 January 2008 - 08:54 PM in Processors, Motherboards and Memory

Zellig: my RAM is actually running LOWER than 200 Mhz DDR when I tried for above 270. (used a 7/10 divider). The BE-5 chips top out at 222 mhz so if I want to go higher than 2.66 I need to use a divider.

I have 2.75 stable but it just won't budge above that.

: )

Yeah, I wasn't talking about ram speed specifically, when the "FSB Bus Frequency" is high, dividers will "randomly" not work, even if the speed the memory is running at should be alright.

Before playing heavily with the secondary ram settings, the ONLY dividers I could get working properly at high FSB settings were 1:1 and 1:2.

Might not be worth the effort of going past 2.75 if you're happy with that though, my chip does 2.8 with under stock voltage, but I figured that the extra performance from another .1 or .2 GHz wasn't worth my time trying to get the ram dividers working happily.

#1543414 DFI LanParty nF4 - driver?

Posted by Zelig on 29 January 2008 - 10:10 AM in Processors, Motherboards and Memory

If using Vista, there are newer drivers available. See details here.

#1543411 Topped out on 3800 X2 ..?

Posted by Zelig on 29 January 2008 - 10:07 AM in Processors, Motherboards and Memory

I've found that if it's hanging at the verifying DMI pool data, it's usually a problem with the memory.

I had a horrible time getting my memory and dividers working nicely, the key settings seem to be the DRAM drive strength and DRAM data drive strength.

If interested, here are my 24/7 stable settings for the 3800+ in my sig:

[b]Genie BIOS Settings:[/b]

[color=red]

FSB Bus Frequency  -  280

LDT/FSB Frequency Ratio  -  4x

CPU/FSB Frequency Ratio  -  10x

PCI eXpress Frequency  -  100Mhz

CPU VID StartUp Value  -  1.35v

CPU VID Control  -  1.350v

CPU VID Special Control  -  Auto

LDT Voltage Control  -  1.20v 

Chip Set Voltage Control  -  1.50v

DRAM Voltage Control  -  2.50v[/color]

[b]DRAM Configuration Settings:[/b]

[color=red]

DRAM Frequency Set  -  180=RAM/FSB:09/10

Command Per Clock (CPC)  -  2T

CAS Latency Control (Tcl)  -  3T

RAS# to CAS# delay (Trcd)  -  03 Bus Clocks

Min RAS# active time (Tras)  -  08 Bus Clocks

Row precharge time (Trp)  -  02 Bus Clocks

Row Cycle time (Trc)  -  10 Bus Clocks

Row refresh cyc time (Trfc)  -  12 Bus Clocks

Row to Row delay (Trrd)  -  02 Bus Clocks

Write recovery time (Twr)  -  02 Bus Clocks

Write to Read delay (Twtr)  -  01 Bus Clock

Read to Write delay (Trwt)  -  03 Bus Clocks

Refresh Period (Tref)  -  2560 Cycles

Write CAS Latency (Twcl)  -  1t

DRAM Bank Interleave  -  Enabled

DQS Skew Control  -  Disabled

DQS Skew Value   -  0

DRAM Drive Strength  -  Weak 4

DRAM Data Drive Strength  -  1 (50% reduction)

Max Async Latency  -  8.0 Nano Seconds

Read Preamble Time  -  6.0 Nano Seconds

IdleCycle Limit  -  16 Cycles

Dynamic Counter  -  Enabled

R/W Queue Bypass  -  16 x

Bypass Max  -  07 x

32 Byte Granularity  -  Disable(4 Bursts)

[/color]

edit: Fixed a couple settings. (Drive Strength and tref)