old_geekster's Content

There have been 868 items by old_geekster (Search limited from 22-March 16)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#1567602 5.1 Speakers... Is Time To Get Some...

Posted by old_geekster on 24 July 2008 - 06:55 PM in Audio Hardware

I hope you enjoy your 5500's!

I decided rather than upgrade to a new sound card ($200) (using on-board sound) and a new set of 5.1 speakers ($200) (have Polk Audio AMR 150), I will buy a set of Bose Companion 5 Multimedia Speakers ($349). They connect to the computer through a USB port. They sounded great when I listened to them in Best Buy. Of course, I won't buy them from BB, I will get them from Newegg.

#1559302 Whats Type Of Music Do You Listen To

Posted by old_geekster on 03 July 2008 - 08:01 PM in OCC Member's Lounge

50's rock!

Buddy Holly and the Crickets

#1559298 What Os Do You Use

Posted by old_geekster on 03 July 2008 - 07:52 PM in OCC Member's Lounge

I voted XP, but I actually have two drives. The main drive has XP Pro and the secondary drive has Ubuntu, Hardy Heron 8.04 LTS 64-bit installed on it. I would be using Ubuntu solely if I wasn't a gamer. I don't like using programs to allow game playing.

#796859 How Many Firefox Extensions Do You Use?

Posted by old_geekster on 26 June 2008 - 01:06 PM in Networking and Internet

I voted (2). I use "Adblock Plus" and "Forecastfox".

#796856 First Build

Posted by old_geekster on 26 June 2008 - 12:57 PM in System Builds

Looks to me like you have a darn good rig. The only thing that I would have done differently is go for a full case.

#794549 Where Are My Street Members!!!!!!!

Posted by old_geekster on 20 June 2008 - 02:17 PM in OCC Member's Lounge

Certainly seeing a lot of familiar avatars.

Isn't it amazing just how good Angry_Games(Travis) was/is at picking avatars. His ability to choose just the right image to reflect the forum member genuinely spooky.

Of course, it could be that some members are too lazy to pick their own. lol

All work and no play makes ExRoadie rich monetarily but longing for less stressful times and more community activity.

You hit the nail on the head, Ex. When my avatar showed up on the Street, I swore that Angry had been having me followed. It fits me to a tee. Maybe it is the fact that he knew I was an old_geekster and 50's rocker. I don't know.

If I remember correctly, you have taken on a new face. It is becoming, however.

#794338 Where Are My Street Members!!!!!!!

Posted by old_geekster on 19 June 2008 - 06:29 PM in OCC Member's Lounge

Glad to see all of the old faces (Avatars) and the new ones as well. I couldn't get rid of my old "bobble-head", it looks too much like me. It actually keeps time to my 50's rock. It appears that we are going to have a good mix from the Street here at OCC. I look forward to helping.

#794123 Merger

Posted by old_geekster on 19 June 2008 - 09:13 AM in OCC News & Announcements

I'd like to extend a big hug to all DIY-ers. you like hugs, right? :lol:

Thanks to all of the "OCC" members for the warm welcome!

Yes, we all like to get our hugs! We got so used to it from our leader at DIY-Street, Angry_Games. He was always quick to hold our hands and give us a big hug. :rolleyes:

Hopefully, this site will grow at the same rate that DIY was growing. However, I was not routed to OCC from the DIY site. It showed the URL, but didn't bring me here.

Here's to OCC and all of its members, new and old. Hooray.

#1556598 Do you pay for websites?

Posted by old_geekster on 08 May 2008 - 06:13 PM in OCC Member's Lounge

I voted no way. Personally, I have no reason to go to a website that collects premiums. There are too many that don't with the same info.

#1556422 Windows XP SP3 & Windows Vista SP1 Pre-BETA Released

Posted by old_geekster on 06 May 2008 - 08:03 PM in OS: Microsoft

Well, I guess I live right. Shortly after making the post above, I used MS Update. Of course, there it was --- SP3. I couldn't just let it sit there, could I? Nope! So, I hit the button and zap it began the update to SP3. I am now typing with my new updated system. Glory be.

#1556410 Windows XP SP3 & Windows Vista SP1 Pre-BETA Released

Posted by old_geekster on 06 May 2008 - 06:29 PM in OS: Microsoft

The damn silly thing is, before I do anything drastic I ask myself do I really need to do this and most times I say "not really" and then I go ahead and do it and mess something up lol.

The wife sees me in the early hours with discs everywhere again and says you messed it up again didn't you, and I said no this time it was that bastard bill gates, he hates me, so she rolls the eyes and goes back to bed..... I hate being predictable.

Ah well there is nothing like a fresh PC it was time to do it anyway.

I don't even tell the wife when I screw it up any more. She just shakes her head, shrugs and says ---"What's new", when I do tell her!

I will try SP3 in a month when I get back from my trip. I don't have time to reinstall everything at this point.

#1556260 gaming on a 22" lcd vs 19" performance?

Posted by old_geekster on 05 May 2008 - 01:03 PM in Video Cards and Monitors

I'm running a SyncMaster 226BW and I really like it; having a bigger monitor really does make a big difference with only a minimal performance hit

I agree with rado. I have the 226BW and use it with XP Pro and Ubuntu, Hardy Heron 8.04 LTS. It is a great monitor and with 2ms response time, it makes gaming fun. You can see things in games that you missed without it. Old games seem new.

#1556258 I need a replacement PSU...

Posted by old_geekster on 05 May 2008 - 12:56 PM in Cases, Power Supplies and Modding

With your setup, I would highly recommend an "OCZ" GamerXStreme GXS 700W:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817341002

I would give you more than enough power for now and in the future. It is also reasonably priced.

#1556178 How Many PC's Do You Own?

Posted by old_geekster on 04 May 2008 - 06:38 PM in OCC Member's Lounge

Just two: My sig and an AMD Athlon 1.4GHz HP Pavilion.

#1555249 Can a woman lead a nation

Posted by old_geekster on 25 April 2008 - 03:16 PM in OCC Member's Lounge

Techno hit the nail on the head. I voted yes that a woman could run the country. However, not Hilary. She is the most dishonest politician in Washington. She took first when her husband retired.

Just as a point of clarification, I am not a right-wing loon. I am an "Independent" thinker and voter. I follow both sides of the aisle very closely and hold all of their feet to the fire.

#1554086 Hard Drive Setup Suggestions

Posted by old_geekster on 15 April 2008 - 07:25 PM in Audio Hardware

I have C: (OS and apps pertaining to the OS), D: (Games, docs) and pagefile: on my first drive. I have Ubuntu, Hardy Heron on my second drive.

#1553406 I opened the mod shop today

Posted by old_geekster on 09 April 2008 - 08:22 PM in Cases, Power Supplies and Modding

You done good, boy.

Every time I look at my old HP case, I think "How ugly". Well, ski, you have inspired me to begin thinking on how to make it look great. I will first begin with cutting the large HP out of each side panel. This will allow for some cooling or other goodies. I think some flames would be nice to help cover the bland silver. Spoken like an old_geekster, of course. Once the case is complete, then it will need some new components to bring it up to speed.

I want it to look as cool or better than my Cooler Master "Wave Master".

#1552957 The Death of Windows XP is Coming!

Posted by old_geekster on 06 April 2008 - 09:47 AM in OS: Microsoft

you'd have a hard time convincing me of that and I go to the popular forums like pcper, anandtech, hardocp, overclockersclub, etc, and always the theme is the same: XP rules, Vista sucks moldy dog balls.

If there are forums out there bigger than these that say opposite, then I'd like to know who they are. Little forums with 1,000 members don't count.

I have had exactly the same experience on the forums that I frequent. One that comes to mind is HP's Business Support Forums. The majority of threads are about downgrading to XP. We tell them that it is an upgrade. These are computers supposedly built for Vista.

#1552812 OpenOffice.org

Posted by old_geekster on 05 April 2008 - 10:02 AM in Software

I have used OO Suite for several years. The thing that I like about it is, it recognizes MS documents; although MS doesn't recognize OO docs. MS wouldn't want to admit that there is a suite as good or better than theirs.

#1552401 Site might be down - please read

Posted by old_geekster on 02 April 2008 - 03:41 PM in OCC Member's Lounge

Got me. I guess I am too slow. Must be my age. LOL:p