MasterRex862's Content

There have been 73 items by MasterRex862 (Search limited from 23-March 16)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#1747238 Place intel gulftown info here!

Posted by MasterRex862 on 25 November 2009 - 07:14 PM in Processors, Motherboards and Memory

Google is your friend ;)
There are CPU-Z shots floating around

That's not a good reason to not cite a source! I expect more from OCC members than I do other message boards. This site used to be the premier place for hardcore PC enthusiaists, and I really hope we can retain that.

#1747208 Place intel gulftown info here!

Posted by MasterRex862 on 25 November 2009 - 05:51 PM in Processors, Motherboards and Memory

I thought all i9s were extreme editions? was I mistaken?

With that kind of pricing, they may just not be applying the EE branding. They're going to be 'extreme' enough with those kind of specs.

Also, as a wise troll once said in reference to the gulftown:
They are going run 4500MHz @ .8v (stock), Overclock to 7+GHz and cost $89.99 and come with free Motherboard fitted with 12GB of DDR4-3000

We just don't know the truth yet.

@ RO GamerZ: Can you provide a valid source?

Sorry OP, didn't mean to call you out. :)

#1747201 [WTB] NOD32 anti-virus

Posted by MasterRex862 on 25 November 2009 - 05:36 PM in OCC Market Place

Listen, I'm not trying to preach here, but DAMN.

Why the hell would you suggest that anyone torrent NOD32? It's an application that NEEDS to be supported to survive. If you like it enough to recommend it or know how to cheat them month after month, don't you think they deserve the profit? They're not a big name that can handle piracy. That's all I'm trying to say. I'd download a car, but damn I wouldn't download a stolen item from a small business. It's just rude.

#1747198 [DEALS] Newegg BlackFriday

Posted by MasterRex862 on 25 November 2009 - 05:29 PM in OCC Market Place

Newegg is damn slow right now... :(

#1746180 My new website

Posted by MasterRex862 on 23 November 2009 - 09:37 AM in Programmer's Corner

What the .? Did you create another account to give yourself a pat on the back? The level of idiocracy at OCC has risen dangerously since I've been away.

#1745891 Gmail Multiple Inboxes

Posted by MasterRex862 on 22 November 2009 - 12:03 PM in Software

This isn't a difficult process at all. You're going to want to add your @uni.edu account as a POP3 mail account in 'Accounts and Imports' in GMail settings. After adding the account, you can apply labels to incoming mail from the @uni.edu account. You can also use a filter to control mail behavior and create another 'inbox' of sorts by autoarchiving incoming mail without marking it as read. You'll also be able to use GMail's 'Send Mail as' section under Accounts and Imports to grant yourself a dropdown list of e-mail accounts you wish to send an e-mail from. In these cases, mail will be delivered as '@gmail.com on behalf of @uni.edu'.

Psst, GMail usually detects the correct settings for ports. If it doesn't or if for any reason you cannot figure it out, I suggest calling your campus Tech Support Center. :)

#1745196 Data Recovery?

Posted by MasterRex862 on 20 November 2009 - 08:44 AM in Drives and Storage

Why not wait till the RMA drive has hit your doorstep to try the controller board swap? Hell, call the company and be honest about it.

Does the drive 'rattle' at all when shaken? Chances are it's not going to be worth the effort if the arm wasn't in locked position when the drive failed. :(

#1745180 Fixing an LCD display

Posted by MasterRex862 on 20 November 2009 - 08:13 AM in Video Cards and Monitors

Replacing a backlight usually requires a bit of soldering. It's usually more of a pain in the arse to disassemble the LCD panel than it is to solder the backlight leads on, though. :)

Good luck!

#1745031 How reasonable/doable is this for a Watercooled Setup

Posted by MasterRex862 on 19 November 2009 - 07:09 PM in Overclocking and Cooling

I have a separate thread for my own setup in progress, but what are the advantages to running independent loops vs one single loop? Perhaps I'm missing something, but if the heat transfer capacity of each individual loop (assuming you aim for a multiple loop setup) is great enough to adequately cool the water-blocks independently, why would the radiators suddenly be less efficient? The only difference I'm aware of is the additional strain on a single pump, though adding an additional pump to a single loop setup isn't an unorthodox tax.

#1745028 Top 8 Programs That Can Make Your Computer Run Faster

Posted by MasterRex862 on 19 November 2009 - 07:02 PM in Software

They're missing a couple notable programs:

I prefer Sumatra to Foxit, and GOM to VLC.

#1745025 Windows XP registry missing "active controlset key"?

Posted by MasterRex862 on 19 November 2009 - 06:58 PM in OS: Microsoft

Why not try a repair installation of Windows? If it's successful, your friend won't lose any data.

If necessary, click here for a quick how-to.

#1745017 New at laptop overclocking, need detailed help

Posted by MasterRex862 on 19 November 2009 - 06:18 PM in Overclocking and Cooling

Now we're getting somewhere. Why do you seem to think 76C is an acceptable temperature? Your processor is overheating. I'm willing to bet the stock thermal pad dried up under duress. It's also possible that your fan ducting is filled with dust or pet hair.

#1744938 Name That Car!

Posted by MasterRex862 on 19 November 2009 - 02:45 PM in OCC Member's Lounge

I think Phil has nailed it with "Berkeley SE492". I've never heard of that car manufacturer till now.

#1744933 New at laptop overclocking, need detailed help

Posted by MasterRex862 on 19 November 2009 - 02:25 PM in Overclocking and Cooling

Were you ever able to run WoW fluently?

EDIT:
If your laptop isn't overheating and you have correctly addressed the power options, there isn't a reason for the under-clocking (AMD Cool n' Quiet, you've done it again!). I suggest you run Notebook Hardware Control to verify that you are not experiencing heat related issues. You may also change your CPU frequency with this application to 'overclock', though I'd recommend against exceeding the stock speed of your Athlon X2 QL-60 - That's 1.9GHz.

#1744931 3 monitors, 1 video card?

Posted by MasterRex862 on 19 November 2009 - 02:22 PM in Video Cards and Monitors

Do you have any available PCI slots? You needn't run all three monitors off of the same video card. You can purchase a 'main' gaming-grade graphics card for your AGP slot and stuff a cheap-o graphics card in a free PCI slot.

#1744924 New at laptop overclocking, need detailed help

Posted by MasterRex862 on 19 November 2009 - 02:01 PM in Overclocking and Cooling

Your laptop could be under-clocking for a couple of blatant reasons.
  • You have set the OS to use as little power as possible to extend battery life.
  • Overheating

If I read correctly, the laptop you're using employs AMD's 780G chipset. That means you have an HD3200 mobile graphics chipset - more than enough to run WoW. I have reason to believe the only reason you're experiencing such frame rate stutter is due to Windows environment variables (read: power options).

Try mulling this over.

#1744921 Christmas Contest on the horizon

Posted by MasterRex862 on 19 November 2009 - 01:51 PM in OCC News & Announcements

Oh wow! Excellent! I wish I stayed more active as a forum member over the years. This kind of thing makes my eyes water.

#1744888 [WTB] Virtual Keyboard?

Posted by MasterRex862 on 19 November 2009 - 12:30 PM in Miscellaneous Hardware

I had a very similar model folding keyboard for an old Palm Pilot - they're compact and work quite well. I think it's a much better fit than a laser projection keyboard!

#1744884 Radiator/Waterblock/Pump Recommendations

Posted by MasterRex862 on 19 November 2009 - 12:13 PM in Overclocking and Cooling

Right now I'm only planning on one pump; it may not be enough.

I'm thinking that the loop will be as follows:
Reservoir -> Pump -> CPU -> 120mm Radiator -> 80m Radiator -> GPU -> 240mm Radiator -> Back to Reservoir

Any recommendations? Is it possible to pump water too quickly for the radiators to successfully transfer heat? That is one of my greatest concerns about adding another pump.

EDIT:
Oh yeah, you had better believe there will be a work log when I amass all of these components! I haven't done a work log in a while, so I need to make up for lost time!

#1744838 Radiator/Waterblock/Pump Recommendations

Posted by MasterRex862 on 19 November 2009 - 10:25 AM in Overclocking and Cooling

I see what you're saying wevsspot, but I've already built a few water cooling kits. I've never designed one, however. Thus, I'm willing to jump head first into this project. I'm quite certain that I won't have the most efficient setup at first, though I will be damned before I stop tweaking and upgrading until I'm happy with the outcome. :)

I'm trying to keep all of the radiators inside of the case for aesthetics and ease of transportation. I'm quite accustomed to case modding, cable management, etc. I think I'm going to mod 1/2" risers into the bottom of my case so that the 120x2 radiator (check out the image attached in the second edit of my previous post) has room to breath. I may need additional ventilation, though there's already going to be one 120mm intake fan that will be in addition to the two proposed radiator fans exhausting outside of the case. I may end up building a heat shroud to direct hot air from the 120x2 radiator to the built-in vent in the side panel of my case.

With one 120mm intake and multiple exhaust fans (though all inhibited by radiators..) would I have any issues with stagnant heat?