IVIYTH0S's Content

There have been 1000 items by IVIYTH0S (Search limited from 18-March 16)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#2155740 [Wanted] 2x2GB 1066 DDR2 Sticks

Posted by IVIYTH0S on 06 August 2016 - 08:13 PM in OCC Market Place

This is likely an impossible request, but does anyone have any sticks of 1066MHz DDR2 2GB sticks they'd be willing to give away or sell cheap? My friend is trying to squeeze all he can out of his C2D setup (I'm surprised how relevant it still is all things considered). We're probably gonna throw a $20 C2Q in it and then more memory if we can so he can smooth out GTA5, which works perfectly in any lesser populated areas but has noticeable RAM swapping chop in the city.

#2154527 Upgrading my 5 year old system

Posted by IVIYTH0S on 30 May 2016 - 01:56 PM in System Builds

If you can wait, I'd wait until the 1070 comes out just because it may lower the price of the 970 as it enters the market and used 970s may start flooding the market and going down in price if many people replace then with 1070. The 970 would be slightly overkill for your intended resolution and the 1070 would be overoverkill lol

#2154526 Free to a new home!

Posted by IVIYTH0S on 30 May 2016 - 01:53 PM in OCC Member's Lounge

Awesome stuff, congrats BP and Braegnok!

#2154488 Upgrading my 5 year old system

Posted by IVIYTH0S on 29 May 2016 - 11:33 AM in System Builds

A GTX960 should do quite fine at only 1080P. I'd actually just hunt for a 2500K and overclock it or even a 3570K if the price is similar (and the board's bios supports it) and call it a day! I've had no issues with my system, stock clocked, for some time now and I'm running 2560x1600.

Well if I'm to upgrade my CPU - Board - RAM I think it would be best to get a skylake system rather trying to revive my system with a new CPU. It would cost more I agree but it will age better. I think maybe a new GPU to enhance the experience and then get i5 6400 + Gigabyte H170 + 16 GB DDR4

Maybe if you could cut the cost down decently with the sale of your system but the real life differences after Sandy bridge just are too small to ever notice once you reach this level. maybe add another 8GB in and a better CPU if you really feel like yours is holding you back (though I guarantee it isn't..games are so GPU bound it's not even funny!). My friend can still play games pretty happily with a 660Ti and an E8400 Core 2 Duo

#2154438 Modem/Router NOOB ?'s

Posted by IVIYTH0S on 27 May 2016 - 08:16 PM in Networking and Internet

While NORMALLY I would be all for you buying a modem, if you go to charter's website and search around a bit you'll find this:

As a Spectrum Internet customer, you are offered a compliant modem without any additional charge when you subscribe to a New Pricing and Packaging service tier. You may also choose to buy a modem that is certified by Charter to work with your internet service.

Kinda seems silly to buy one if they charge you the same either way.  Now, as for the router that's going to depend on where it's being used, number of devices, if they also provide free routers with the package you're looking at etc.  

Because 99% of the time the hardware they offer you is the cheapest pile of junk they can find. 

Can be, but from the Charter customers I know personally they all got pretty good equipment (certainly better than what TWC passes out around here) but that could vary by region.  

I would buy a router and try their modem if it was me, if you have any issues you can always grab a modem later .  would always split the router/modem and avoid the "all in one" solution as my history leans towards routers being less of a long term item and needing replacement due to issues/wanting better signal speed/coverage before the modem actually needs and upgrade.

:withstupid: Get a good router and get the "free" modem

#2154437 New Comcast modem

Posted by IVIYTH0S on 27 May 2016 - 08:15 PM in Networking and Internet

I'd just get a SB6121 or a SB6141 used or new if cheap. They'll serve all your needs well. My SB6141 put out 150Mbps (plan was for 105Mbps) before I downgraded the service to performance (30Mbps) because I didn't need all that speed.

#2154436 My Samsung 32" Curved wont run with GTX 275

Posted by IVIYTH0S on 27 May 2016 - 08:13 PM in Video Cards and Monitors

I'm guessing the GTX275 was before the cards all came with HDMI? I'd try the new converter cable and see if that works for starters. I used an HDMI to DVI cable for a while for my last monitor with no issues.

#2154435 Upgrading my 5 year old system

Posted by IVIYTH0S on 27 May 2016 - 08:11 PM in System Builds

A GTX960 should do quite fine at only 1080P. I'd actually just hunt for a 2500K and overclock it or even a 3570K if the price is similar (and the board's bios supports it) and call it a day! I've had no issues with my system, stock clocked, for some time now and I'm running 2560x1600.

#2154382 Free to a new home!

Posted by IVIYTH0S on 26 May 2016 - 10:04 AM in OCC Member's Lounge

28 years, distribution but started with service calls on their refrigeration units?

#2154342 Firefox Overtakes Internet Explorer and Edge Browsers in Worldwide Desktop Br...

Posted by IVIYTH0S on 24 May 2016 - 06:43 PM in OCC Front Page News

I still use FF on the main rig but I noticed that Chrome runs things smoother on my HTPC than FF. I may try reinstalling FF but because of this most of my streaming takes place in Chrome on that PC...which is its primary use!!

#2154293 What SSD to get and how to migrate to the new one

Posted by IVIYTH0S on 22 May 2016 - 11:51 AM in Drives and Storage

Well I want to pick it up locally but we have so many options here that are also present in Amazon. 

I found this one: Corsair Force Series LE 240GB which looks good to me. I just need it to be reliable.

There is one thing that someone told me once which I don't know if it true or not. They said that the amount of reads and writes the computer performs on an SSD, shortens its lifespan and reliability. I did not do any research about so far but I don't think that is true, am I right?

I haven't found any to be unreliable yet.

It's true that writing to the drive lowers its life but they're designed to handle a lot of it before it ever became a problem, years and years we're talking. You'll probably sell it and get it a new one long before that ever became an issue!

#2154291 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Overclocking Review

Posted by IVIYTH0S on 22 May 2016 - 10:55 AM in OCC News & Announcements

Nice! Still happy with my GTX970 atm, only runnin' 60hz so don't really need the extra ommph, on top of not minding the frames dipping under that.

#2154290 What SSD to get and how to migrate to the new one

Posted by IVIYTH0S on 22 May 2016 - 10:45 AM in Drives and Storage

What are some of the cheapest in that capacity range? I've been MORE than satisfied with SSDs in the 240-256GB range for my uses in all three of my PCs. For notebooks, it's always nice to get more space if you can afford it but with desktops, you can always have that large and cheap platter drive for storage of dead weight.

IMHO you can't go wrong with any brand and I've tried to buy all of the different makes and so far haven't been let down. I've had many OCZs (all pre-Toshiba too, my dad and friend have Arc 100s though and they've been problem free as well), Kingston, SanDisk, Crucial, Samsung, and recently Silicon Power with all of them still in service!

Where do you plan to order from? If their inventory is browse-able from the internet, I could help you look.

#2154288 How long should my Current Build Last?

Posted by IVIYTH0S on 22 May 2016 - 09:22 AM in System Builds

Really all you need for games is a good graphics card, which you have. The rest can be ridden out far longer, and at 1080P, that 390X should be easily capable of driving 30FPS or more for some time! My friend still can play games over 30FPS with a Core 2 Duo and a 660Ti on a 1080P monitor.

#2154287 What is a good phone app to control a PC?

Posted by IVIYTH0S on 22 May 2016 - 09:20 AM in OCC Member's Lounge

If you're talking about remote control from out of the room: Teamviewer

if you just want it as a wireless mouse/keyboard: ASUS Remote Link

#2154067 EVO Plus 256GB microSD Card Announced by Samsung

Posted by IVIYTH0S on 11 May 2016 - 08:12 PM in OCC Front Page News

$1 a gig? No frakin' way!

:withstupid:
 I buy phones with microSD card support to SAVE money, not spend it :yucky:

#2152175 Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Photos Leaked

Posted by IVIYTH0S on 16 February 2016 - 09:39 AM in OCC Front Page News

It better have the SD card support again like my S5 or this will be my last Samsung phone

#2152121 Apple G5 Powermac to ATX Case mod (Finally FINISHED!)

Posted by IVIYTH0S on 13 February 2016 - 06:29 PM in Miscellaneous Hardware

Beautiful! Great work, it came out super nice!

#2152107 Intel Skylake Overclocked to 7GHz

Posted by IVIYTH0S on 13 February 2016 - 08:35 AM in OCC Front Page News

The current top record is a Piledriver CPU with all but one module disabled, so it's a dual-core instead of octa-core. That FX-8370 OC of 8.722GHz kept all its modules active for its speed. Disable some and maybe it goes even higher. The highest Intel overclock is a single core Celeron chip.

Is the Celeron a dual or single core inherently?

#2152030 Ordering hardware

Posted by IVIYTH0S on 09 February 2016 - 08:51 PM in System Builds

Memory capacity is better than memory "speed"