Does My Cpu Hsf Requires Thermal Paste?

gg_Malkavian

I just bought a P4 Prescott LGA 775 3.2GHz which came with the stock fan. There is a detailed paper explaining how to install the cpu and heatsink on it. But they never mentionned thermal paste.... I put some on it anyway (thermal paste that came with my Chaintech Zenith V915P mobo... dunno why actually).

Now I have a cpu temp of 56 celcius idle and 68 celcius on load. Do you think it's too hot? Is it possible that the heatsink didn't require any thermal paste??

Go to that link to see the manual and see by yourself :

ftp://download.intel.com/support/processo.../install775.pdf

Help!

Thermal Paste is not needed especially on a presshot. *Laughs at his own sarcasim* lol...YES Thermal Paste is a must have IMHO especially on a presshot cpu. Here are the 3 most likely reasons your cpu is running so hot...

1.)Presshot's run hot naturally hence the nickname "Presshot"

2.)If you are using a software based temp monitor then the temps could be off by as much as 15*C

3.)The HS is probably not seated correctly thus causing it to not make good contact with the cpu.

My thinking is that it is probably a combination of all three. I would suggest getting a temp probe to test your temps with and re-seating the HS.

Usually, stock heatsinks already have a waxy sort of thermal pad on them. The PDF you linked notes that you should be careful to not damage the thermal interface material (TIM) when installing the heatsink. These stock pads are inefficient at best, and at worst they just plain suck. Your best bet would be to remove the heatsink, use acetone followed by high purity isopropyl alcohol to clean the heatsink and the heat spreader (the silver "top" of the CPU). After that, use a high quality TIM (Arctic Silver 5 or Arctic Silver Ceramique are recommended) and apply it as stated in the instructions on Arctic Silver's website.

YES THEY NEED IT, now as for not in teh directions, my 2.5 celly came with it preapplied and a black square cover over the CPU, was it just a plain metal HS bottom or was there ANYTHING on it, if you applied thermal paste over something else then that's your problem. But even if you didnt get soem Arctic Silver 5, take teh HSF off clean it and reapply the AS5 paste as stated here on their site. Follow the directions apply to most any thermal paste realy and they have good cleanign instructions as to what to use and what not to use.

Arctic Sliver site

Man! You might be right about the fact that my heatsink is maybe not seated correcly... I tried many times to put it properly but theres always a stupid leg that doesnt want to clip... last time I did it I didn't hear the distinct clip sound for the last one but I almost used all my strength so I said crap that... It looked well seated anyway... Well now I've ordered some silver thermal paste but the vendor couldn't tell me which kind it was exactly (I assumed it was artic silver since there probably isn't a lot of silver thermal paste kinds) so I told him it was aight... I should have it monday... then I'll apply the paste and reseat my hs... do you have any tip on how to install it properly?

Sorry about my poor english (I'm a french Canadian)

The manuals that come with the processor usually never mention thermal paste, but its always best to use it.

Deffinatly read the directions to the letter otherwise the thermal grease wont do a dang bit of good...

(what your cpu and heatsink look like after a month of usage when a newb installs themal compound avg temp 58c idle)

Edited by CrackHead