Pdp (patriot) Ram

I was browsing newegg for some more ram and I stumbled upon these modules made by PDP. At first I though there was something wrong with my eyes, but I looked again and it was still there. The thing that was disturbing me was the memory timings and the low price. For less than $160, 1 gig of DDR400 memory with 2-3-2-5-1T timings! How the heck can you get performance ram for a value price? These modules are priced around the same as corsair value ram that has slower timings. I have never heard of PDP or Patriot memory, so I decided to take the plunge and pickup 2 gigs of memory (so I wont have to add any more ram for a long time).

Well I got to test them today and I am blown away at the preformance for money. As stated, they can run 2-3-2-5-1T timings @ 200mhz with 2.6v. So far these have passed with prime 95 for around 12 hours without a hiccup. The closest competition is the PQI modules that run 2-3-3-6-1T @ 200mhz, but those cost around $200+. Corsair, OCZ, etc. were at least $230+. These modules were a tad faster in benchmarks than compared to my Corsair XMS PC3200 (2-3-3-6-1T, winbond ch-6 chips). Overclockers Online reviewed these modules and managed to get 240-250mhz with slighty looser timings. Simply put, if you need to get a gig of ram, buy these modules, you wont be sorry. They simply cannot be beat for the price.

I run a 1gb stick of PDP pc3200 (looser timings than the 512 sticks, but awesome nonetheless), and I LOVE it. It's completely rock solid in terms of stability, it's fast, and it's cheap. (it was 166 bucks for the stick, which is unbeatable!)

I tried boosting the voltages, changing the timings, etc. but I couldn't get it to run 2-2-2-5. I guess these modules don't like a Ras to Cas value of 2, but 3 works absolutely fine. Out of the four memory modules that I received (2gb total) one didn't pass prime 95/memtest86, so that one is going to be rma'ed back to newegg. As with any new memory, make sure to check that it can pass both prime 95 (at least 12hrs minimum, 24 preferred) and memtest86. Besides the one module that didn't pass, I am absolutely happy with these.

I'm getting the PDP ram too, 1gb of it. I only have 512mb now and I'm desperate for an upgrade to hold me off until christmas when I get money for 2gb.

So this RAM is really good, it won't bottleneck my system? it does run at the same timings my GeIL does, but the heat-spreader is only aluminium (I assume, since it's red).

Somewhat bad news for anyone that has not bought this ram yet. Newegg raised the price from $154 to $188! The only other place to get this ram cheap is over at Outpost (Fry's Online Store) for $160. Grab these modules while they are still cheap!