msi neo2 platinum

2x512 pc3200 ddr

bfg 6800 gt oc

2xWD 36GB raptors (raid-0)

60GB IDE drive

The way i have it setup:

The WD Raptors are on SATA1 & SATA2.

Primary IDE has the 60GB harddrive on it

Secondary IDE has a 52x24x52 cdrw drive as master, 16x dvd drive as slave.

To start, I disabled the primary ide and setup a raid-0 array on the two raptors. Then i installed winxp on them. The reason i disabled the primary ide was so winxp wouldn't detect it and assign the letter C to it. Anyways, the installation went fine, the computer posted normally, etc etc.

So then i go back into the bios and enable the primary ide and this is where the problems began. It then took forever to post. It would hang on "detecting ide" for several minutes until finally moving forward. In windows, both the raid array and the 60gb are displayed properly. So what's going on? What could be causing such a delay? Is there any bios settings i have to change? enable? disable?

Also, for some reason certain keys on my keyboard aren't working. Q-W-E-R-O-P and i think A also...out of the ones i tried. I don't see how it can be the keyboard, as it's new, and also, when putting in the cd key for windows, it had those characters in it and i was able to type them just fine then. Are these two problems linked some how? I dunno.

Any help on either problem would be greatly appreciated. As you probably guessed, i'm typing this on another computer, so I'll check back later. Thanks!

PS. i installed SP-1, the nforce3 drivers, and directx9.0c. Haven't done my graphics yet, cause i came down here and posted this as my computer was restarting. Since it takes 5 mins to post, it takes a very long time to do anything with all the restarting that has to be done :(

EDIT: o yeah, forgot to mention that after one long session of posting, and it hanging on the detecting array screen (which it had never done before), i shutdown and cleared the cmos. Still posts long after that.

Edited by ClayMeow

Well for the keyboard you could try updating/changing the driver. Go into control panel, keyboard, press the hardware tab, then click update driver. You should be able to get the latest one from the KB manufacturers website.

I am not familar with that board but asus P4C800 have sata 1 and 2 plugs and then 2 more sata raid 1 and 2 and of course settings in the bios for what you are trying use, I have never tryed to add any other hard drives other than the 2 raptors in raid 0 pluged into the sata raid plugs, I have my DVD burner on the secondary IDE as master, I only use that one DVD burner, it might be some settings in the bios that you need to change? I am not sure?

:foldon:

well the keyboard drivers didn't do the trick, so i just put back my old one, and it's fine now.

as for the posting problems, i'm still getting them. I'm not sure what bios settings, if any, i'm supposed to change. This is my first time using SATA, as well as my first time using any type of raid setup, so i'm probably doing something n00bish.

One option i noticed was under the ide function setup section under Integrated Peripherals called SATA1/SATA2 DMA Transfer. Anyone know what that is? Currently it's disabled.

There's no FAQ available for my mobo at the msi site (i guess cause it's new), which really sucks :(

ya i got the same problem, only it detects it somewhat faster, but its still anoying as hell and i cant seem to figure out how to shut it down. I ran my 2 maxtors in raid1 but i took that out cuz it had absolutly no performance increase.

btw im on a DFI Lanparty

ya i got the same problem, only it detects it somewhat faster, but its still anoying as hell and i cant seem to figure out how to shut it down. I ran my 2 maxtors in raid1 but i took that out cuz it had absolutly no performance increase.

btw im on a DFI Lanparty

raid1 just mirrors it, so there's no performance increase or decrease. you need raid-0 or raid-0-1 to get an increase. but anyways, are you 2 maxtors SATA? and then you have a third IDE drive, like my setup, or is it different? Just trying to narrow down the problem if i can <_>

well the keyboard drivers didn't do the trick, so i just put back my old one, and it's fine now.

as for the posting problems, i'm still getting them. I'm not sure what bios settings, if any, i'm supposed to change. This is my first time using SATA, as well as my first time using any type of raid setup, so i'm probably doing something n00bish.

One option i noticed was under the ide function setup section under Integrated Peripherals called SATA1/SATA2 DMA Transfer. Anyone know what that is? Currently it's disabled.

There's no FAQ available for my mobo at the msi site (i guess cause it's new), which really sucks :(

DMA = Direct Memory Access. Try enabling it and see if that helps

i found the problem yesterday. My IDE drive was jumpered for master w/ slave instead of single. I could have sworn I changed it, but it looked like I only changed the one in my old comp, and not the one i was transferring. Now it posts very quickly :).

So Marine, don't let my n00bish error pull you away from getting SATA ;)