Installation Of Windows 2000 Or Xp Onto S-ata

Guest FxXP

* Just realized that this may actually go into the Windows OS section :P *

This is my own little install guide on how to get Windows 2000 Pro or Windows XP Home/Professional installed on a S-ATA (Serial ATA) hard drive. This does not cover installing and configuring the drive(s), your manual will explain this setup. I say this as every motherboard is different. This only covers the DRIVER INSTALLATION and OS INSTALLATION! This HOW-TO does not apply to Promise S-ATA controllers.

*Update from r_target: For those with Intel chipsets that offer RAID on the ICH5R southbridge, the process is the same.

Step 1: Download the drivers.

Most onboard controllers will use a Silicon Image SI3112 or SI3114 RAID controller chip. It will look like this:

silicon.jpg

The SI3112 only supports two Serial-ATA hard drives in either RAID 0 (Striping) or RAID 1 (Mirroring). It can also support two Serial-ATA hard drives in a standard configuration with no RAID. The same thing applies to the 3114, except it can do RAID 0+1 (Striping+Mirroring) as well as RAID 0 and RAID 1. It can also handle 4 seperate Serial-ATA hard drives in a standard configuration. See your motherboard manual documentation for more information. DFI motherboard owners should have a seperate manual for Serial-ATA configuration. The newest drivers can be found at http://www.siimage.com .

Step 2: Preparing for installation.

* Warning: Your IDE hard disks will supercede S-ATA hard drives when it comes to 2000 or XP trying to detect hard drives to install to. This will prevent your S-ATA drive from having the letter C: assigned to it. To overcome this problem, go into your BIOS setup and disable your primary IDE controller. From that point, configure the BIOS to boot from this order: CDROM, Floppy, SCSI or Floppy, CDROM, SCSI. The S-ATA controller is programmed to act as a SCSI controller hence why the third boot device will be changed from HDD-0 to SCSI. If your primary IDE controller is not disabled, the OS install CD will still detect IDE hard drives to install onto, even if you have set your Primary/Secondary Master or Primary/Secondary Slave to "None". Another quick fix is just to disconnect the IDE hard drives from the IDE controller before installing your operating system.

Step 3: Installation.

Save your BIOS changes and restart the PC, providing that you have your OS installation CD in the drive. Once the computer has booted, press ENTER to continue to boot from CD if it asks you or let it boot itself if you have no FAT/NTFS partitions on your hard drives or if you have Linux installed.

You will see a screen that will say "Press F2 to start Automatic System Recovery (ASR)". You don't want to do that, you are waiting for the next one that says "Press F6 to Load a Third Party SCSI Driver". Once you see that, press F6. At some point while copying HAL files, it will ask you to insert a disk into Drive A:. Put the floppy disk that come with your motherboard or Silcon Image controller card into your floppy drive and press enter. You will see either "Silicon Image 3112 for Windows NT/2000" or "Silicon Image 3112 for Windows XP". You will see the same for the 3114 controller if you have that one instead. Select the right Operating System and then press enter. What this will do is copy si3112r.sys or si3114r.sys and other core driver files and add them to the HAL (Hardware Abstract Library) driver core. At this point, sit back and let the install continue. Configure your partitions as need be when the installer examines your hard drives. It will be the same as installing to a normal IDE drive at this point. Once the Operating System is fully installed, either reconnect your IDE hard drives back to the IDE controller or go back into your BIOS setup and reactivate the Primary IDE Controller. Restart the computer and let Windows detect your IDE hard drives. Run the Disk Management console (diskmgmt.msc) to configure the drive letters if need be.

Further notes:

If the driver copy from the floppy disk does not work, don't fret. This was a known issue when some motherboard manufacturers where bundling the wrong drivers with their motherboards. Yes, there were drivers to install only normal S-ATA support or S-ATA RAID support. This has been corrected now as both come on the floppy if your motherboard is brand new. If your motherboard is older, say for eg: an Asus A7N8X Deluxe v 1.0x, you should go to the motherboard manufacturers website to download

the newest drivers or you can get them from Silicon Image.

If you feel that there are any errors or updates to this HOW-TO, please feel free to add them and I will correct the HOW-TO with that info.

For those with Intel chipsets that offer RAID on the ICH5R southbridge, the process is the same. Good guide.

Hmm, never realized that. That is only on the i875/ICH5R chipset right? I heard that setup runs indepdent of the PCI BUS.

If an 865 chipset has the "R" southbridge it works on those too. I think some 865 boards have either the regular ICH5 or ICH5R. My Abit will support two drives in RAID 0 or RAID 1. I've only the single Seagate at the moment and I still install the RAID controller driver because it seems to be a little bit faster. Also, if I ever get another drive I could just hook it up and migrate the C: partition to a RAID array through Windows. At least Intel's program says I can. Never tried it. :lol:

• 4 months later...

OK , now have not been able to install windows, either 64 bit or regular XP on new system with using only 1 SATA western digital raptor 74 gig 10,000. Keep getting errors. I tried to load a few times, and once it actually went and said it formatted the disk, then at 100% formatted, it gave errors and stopped loading windows.

My question is, I have AMD 64 processor 3500+. I did not install drivers for SATA. I went to make floppy, and chose the Nvidea (XP) for chipset, making disk from MB CD to floppy. When it asked for the disk, I inserted and it asked what SCSI device do I want to install drivers to. Why is it asking for SCSI when it's a SATA harddrive?

BTW, Motherboard is Gigabyte GA=K8NF-9 N Force 4.

* Warning: Your IDE hard disks will supercede S-ATA hard drives when it comes to 2000 or XP trying to detect hard drives to install to. This will prevent your S-ATA drive from having the letter C: assigned to it. To overcome this problem, go into your BIOS setup and disable your primary IDE controller. From that point, configure the BIOS to boot from this order: CDROM, Floppy, SCSI or Floppy, CDROM, SCSI. The S-ATA controller is programmed to act as a SCSI controller hence why the third boot device will be changed from HDD-0 to SCSI. If your primary IDE controller is not disabled, the OS install CD will still detect IDE hard drives to install onto, even if you have set your Primary/Secondary Master or Primary/Secondary Slave to "None". Another quick fix is just to disconnect the IDE hard drives from the IDE controller before installing your operating system.

You will see a screen that will say "Press F2 to start Automatic System Recovery (ASR)". You don't want to do that, you are waiting for the next one that says "Press F6 to Load a Third Party SCSI Driver". Once you see that, press F6. At some point while copying HAL files, it will ask you to insert a disk into Drive A:.

Those made in big fonts should be what you should check

• 6 months later...
yeah?  And what if you dont have a floppy drive????

527151[/snapback]

Then you wait till Vista comes out and then you can supply the drivers via USB thumb drive, cd or floppy.

Or just go buy a floppy drive.