Networking (Wired) FAQ

Nerm

Ok... this is a place that we can kinda orginize many of the commonly asked questions about Networking (Wired).

Feel free to submit to this thread in a Q&A format... a staff member will edit this message from time to time with the new FAQ. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Search The Forums : Asking For Help Guidelines : Overclockers Club Site Rules

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 4 weeks later...

Q: Can I connect multiple routers together? If so, how do I connect multiple routers together?

A: Yes. Wether they be wireless or regular, routers can be hooked up together. In order to do so, the secondary router (the one that is not directly connected to the internet connection) must have a different IP addpress than the primary router and the DHCP server on the secondary router must be disabled. Both of these must be done or else the two routers will conflict with each other.

To give an example on how to set this up, I will use an example of my own personal setup. My primary router has an IP address of 192.168.0.1 and DHCP is enabled on it. From one of the lan ports on the router, I run a cat5 cable to the secondary router. On the secondary router, I connect the cable into one of the lan ports (not the wan port). The secondar router has an IP address of 192.168.0.2 and the DHCP service is disabled so the seconday router will not conflict with the primary one.

• 6 months later...

Q: How do I know if my router is protecting my LAN properly?

A: Go to GRC and do a full probe port scan. It is listed under the "Shields Up" area of the website. If you cannot pass the port scan successfully the site has a FAQ section on how to setup your router properly to pass the port scan test.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Q: Can I have DHCP enabled on my router and have static IP addresses assigned to certain devices as well?

A: Yes, you can enable DHCP on a router and still have certain devices with static IP addresses. In your router's configuration you would just assign certain IP addresses out of your DHCP range to the devices you want to have static IP's. For example you have a network of 10 PC's and 1 Server. Your DHCP ip range is 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.150. You would set up the 10 PC's to get their IP's by DHCP and the server you could assign an IP address of say 192.168.1.150(the end of the DHCP range). Then on the router you just assign the same IP address of 192.168.1.150 to point to the server.