Folding@Home Client Flags & FAQ

Nerm

Well, in addition to all the other help topics around the forum, I thought I might as well add a topic about the Folding@Home client flags. ;)

Please note, the flags change from version to versions. -- The commands listed below are for the v5.x Client, unless otherwise noted.

-config Allows users to change their configuration information. This includes user & team names (reflected in the stats), whether or not to ask before a network connection is made to fetch/send work, set up proxy servers, preferred work unit type (Folding/Genome), process priority, CPU usage requested (5-100%), whether or not to use assembly loops, whether or not to use deadline information, and Machine ID changes.

-configonly Same as above, but quit following configuration instead of beginning work.

-license Displays the end-user license agreement

-queueinfo Get information on queued work units. Includes for each unit the status (READY/FINISHED/EMPTY), unit type (Folding/Genome), originating server, and date when the unit was received (local time in GMT), as well as deadline if the server sent that information.

-oneunit Instruct the client to quit following the completion of one work unit.

-forceasm Instruct the core to use SSE/3DNow assembly instructions if possible, even if it has previously made the determination that the machine may not be handling this well.

-advmethods Request to be assigned work units from new projects, before they are broadly released to the rest of Folding@home. As among the first to try out new advanced simulations, you may wish to post any observations (positive or negative), questions, or issues at the user Forum.

-local Use configuration files from local directory. This option has no meaning on Linux, but is vital on Windows and Macintosh for running multiple clients on a machine. It instructs the client to read its config information from the client.cfg file in the current directory rather than, on Windows, from the installation directory specified in the registry, or, on Macintosh, the Library/Folding@home directory. Information such as the user name, team name, proxy information, machine ID are maintained in the client.cfg file. The flag ensures that work does not conflict. Use "-local" only if you are planning on running more than one instance of Folding@Home on the same machine (this is only useful if you are running on a multi-processor machine). Create as many directories as there are processors on the machine, copy the exe files and client.cfg file into each of these directories, run "FAH3Console -local -config" on each and specify unique machine IDs for each directory (under the Advanced Settings option). From then onwards you may run each copy by switching to its directory and running with the -local flag.

-forceSSE: F@H Client 4.x and earlier only On machines with an AMD processor, Core_78 gives priority to 3DNow over SSE -- this overrides that." NOTE: AMD TBird processors do NOT support SSE.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you start your console client manually, there are two ways to use these flags.

Just type: %PATH TO FOLDING%[email protected] -flag1 -flag2

If you have a shortcut icon for the graphical or console client, you can right click on the icon, chose properties, and then edit the target path. Be sure to add the flags after the last quote. -- If there are not any quotes, just add the flags to the end of the line. Make sure there is a space between each flag.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Search The Forums : Asking For Help Guidelines : Overclockers Club Site Rules

Q) What is the team number for OverclockersClub?

A) 12772

Q) What clients are available?

A) Currently there are clients for Windows, Linux, and Mac.

Q) What clients should I use?

A) This is up to you. Probably the easiest is the graphical client. The text version requires a bit more work (but it is faster). OverclockersClub has our own installer, that will download the F@H client, and install it for you. It can be found here.

Q) What clients is the fastest?

A) The console (text) client is faster.

Q) Can I fold on more than one computer?

A) Yes. Just enter your name and team the same, and each computer will contribute to your stats.

Q) How do I get the Folding@Home banner like what everyone has?

A) Information on that can be found here.

Q) What is the webpage for the Folding@Home project?

A) http://folding.stanford.edu/

Q) What is a WU?

A) It stands for Work Unit.

Q) How long does it take to finish a WU?

A) It can take a few hours to a few days depending on the WU itself and the power of your system.

Q) How can I check the F@H server status?

A) http://vspx27.stanford.edu/serverstat.html

Q) Where can I find our team stats?

A) There are several sites that display stats. 1, 2

Feel free to add to this. ;)

Edited by Nerm

Q: Why fold?

A: To help Stanford univ. work on protiens to help find out why diseases work. "To help cure cancer" it the most popular saying - and hey, if I can make a small contriubion, why not?

A: Cause Team OCC gives out cool prizes in their contests!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Q) I'm on dial up, or can't stay connected to the internet 24/7. Is there a way to download multiple WUs and then submit them all at once?

A) F@H itself doesn't support this, however there is a 3rd party program, UD Monitor, that will acomplish this.

Q) If I run F@H will it take the CPU away from other apps?

A) No. F@H is designed to run at low priority. This means when another app needs the CPU, F@H will give up the CPU to the higher priority app.

Key Words: Folding, Folding@Home, F@H, Team, 12772, OverclockersClub, Overclock, OCC, Team OCC, Stats, WU, Work Unit, Frame, Forum, software, 100%, stanford, fold, Pande, Distributed, client.

• 3 months later...

Q) I have several computers Folding on a local network, is there an easy way to monitor their status?

A) Yes, through the 3rd party program Electron Microscope III (or just EMIII).

Q) Is there an OCC Theme for EMIII?

A) Yes, thanks to Sykocus we have our own EMIII skin. It can be found here

Q) When do I get my DNA strand?

A) As stated here the strands are added as part of an automated process that occurs a few times a week.

Q) How do I add the F@H banner to my signature?

A) Please see the third part of this thread for details on how to add the banner to your signature.