AMD Processor FAQ

Ok... this is a place that we can kinda orginize many of the commonly asked questions about AMD Processors. - DO NOT Post "AMD Sucks" or anything like that.

Feel free to submit to this thread in a Q&A format... a staff member will edit this message from time to time with the new FAQ. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Search The Forums : Asking For Help Guidelines : Overclockers Club Site Rules

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: Is a 64-bit CPU really needed yet?

A: Yes and no. If you want top of the line and future upgradability, yes. If you can settle for a little less then top-of-the-line, and will want to upgrade in less then 2 years anyways, 32-bit is still the way to go.

Q: How do I find out if my processor is unlocked

A: If you have a mobile processor, your multiplier is unlocked. With desktop amd xp's It is rare your multiplier is unlocked. Check your stepping of your processor through cpu-Z, and google to see if it is unlocked. Or you can try to change the multiplier in the ibos, If it boots with a new frequency, it is unlocked.

Q: What does it mean to have an unlocked processor?

A: An unlocked processor allows you to change the multiplier either through the BIOS or by jumpers on some older motherboards.

An unlocked multiplier can allow higher overclocks because the multiplier doesn't have an effect on memory or AGP clocks.

• 3 weeks later...

Question: How many Power Supply watts do i need to run a AMD Athlon 64.

Answer: It really doesnt matter how many watts the Power Supply has as much as how many amp's it has on the 12+ Rail it is recomended that your Power Supply has atleast 20 amp's on the 12+ rail to ensure optimal performance.

Edited by confuzzedintelguy

• 2 months later...

Question: What is so specail about the new amd64 moble proccessors what different between them and an amd64 athon processor?

Answer: The XP-Mobile line is identical to the desktop line except for one crucial difference. The XP-Mobile runs at a lower voltage than that of a desktop processor which is ideal for overclocking.

• 1 month later...
Q: What's the difference between the sempron 3000+ and the XP 3000+???

Q2: Which would be better for Oc'ing mob.2500+ or mob.2600+?

Thx  :typing:

389715[/snapback]

A1: Less cache (Half I think) and a slightly lower clock speed from what I can tell. Sempron @ 2.0GHz and XP @ 2.16GHz

A2: 2600+ :)

• 7 months later...

;)

Q1:can SEMPRON's proc be overclocked too?? ive heard it goes back to the defualt fsb whenever oc'd?

Q2: are there any chance that semprons be multiplier unlocked?

394139[/snapback]

R1 : They can be overclocked, mine is a sempron 3000+ @ 2000Ghz and after OC it turns at 2400 Ghz (cpuz) at FSB 200 and multiplier at 12. stable.

R1 : Y overclock only by FSB and vcore voltage so multiplier ??? May be by bridges.... B:)