Modding FAQ

Ok... this is a place that we can kinda orginize many of the commonly asked questions about Modding.

Feel free to submit to this thread in a Q&A format... a staff member will edit this message from time to time with the new FAQ. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Search The Forums : Asking For Help Guidelines : Overclockers Club Site Rules

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q Where Can I Find A List Of Modding & Computer Part Stores?

Q We have created a huge list of such stores, and organized it by country.

Q Where Can I Buy A Dremel?

Q They can usually be found at Sears, Home Depot, Lowes, and other "Home Improvement" stores. A complete list of locations that sell Dremel products can be found here.

Edited by d3bruts1d

q: how do I mod

A:

Modding is when you modify any aspect of your case/computer/rig etc etc.

a "mod" can be simple of very elaborate. Always plan before you make any modifications or you may end up with one ugly case. Always set aside time becuase rushing projects end up with poor results along with defective side effects

Q) Why should I mod my case?

A) People mod their cases for a number of different reasons. The most common reasons are either for unique aesthetics (visual appearance) or to improve funtionality in some way (for example, to improving cooling potential or to add convenience).

Q: What is Modding ?

(i dont know the definition so) now everyone please try to answer that in the best way..

I think the best definition of modding (in general) is to, ummm, modify the physical appearance of a device to improve the looks/performance/temperature/etc.

Around here, this generally refers to making the case look different, and there are a number of odd and interesting ways to do this....

• 2 months later...

******************PAINTING**********************

if you want to be cost effective - the 87 cent cheapo paint at wal-mart works good - i used it to paint my antec (same thing as cheiftec) just sand till its not shiny anymore - just enough to get the "finish" off

if you have access to one - i highly suggest using an airbrush/paint gun as you can mix the paint and make it thin or thick depending on what color/finish you want to acheive---- this is one of the disadvantages using spray paint -

with spray paint - paint thin - allow atleast 2 hours between coats

with airbrush - paint thin - mix with thinner, wait atleast half an hour between coats

*****************CUTTING*************************

NEVER cut any metal part or any part of your case while there is hardware inside of it!!!!! metal dust and shavings can find their way into the smallest of places that you cant see and if you turn your puter on - yup you guessed it - zap - time to buy new hardware

if you are cutting the OUTSIDE of your case or hardware, before you start cutting or marking your lines, get a roll of 2" masking tape and put 2-3 layers of tape around the entire part of your case you are cutting..... this will prevent scratching your case and makes a great drawing board for designs - plus if you sketch out your design on your case and make a mistake or dont like it - you can simply peel off a layer and re-draw your design ^_^

when using a dremel tool to cut a straight line - use both hands to guide the dremel cutting tool while securing what you are cutting with clamps that have rubber boots so you dont dammage what you are cutting

when using a jigsaw/saws all --- drill "corner holes" so when you come to a corner you dont cut too far and so you can turn the blade to make the next cut

after you are done cutting your case or whatever - make sure you use a file or dremel tool grinding wheel to remove "BURRS" - burrs can flake off and find their way into small electrical places and zap, plus they make NASTY slivers!!! worse than a wooden sliver cause they keep digging into your nerves (small tiny little slivers can be a pain for days if you dont get them out) Deburring your cuts also makes them look better and more professional ^_^

when you are done cutting your case or any other material, make sure you clean up ANY AND ALL DUST!!!! - use compressed air (while wearing safety goggles of course) use a vacuum, and if you are dealing with aluminum cases--- use duct tape wrapped in a loop around your fingers to pick up aluminum shavings and dust

***************ELECTRICAL****************

simply cutting wire, stripping the insulation, and twisting the wires together and wrapping them with electrical tape IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH!! and may even be dangerous!! instead you should either use crimp style connectors or even better and more professional-- cut the wire, slide the oppropriate size shrink tubing over one end of the 2 wires, strip the wire, splice the wire together and solder the 2 ends, then slide the shrink tubing over the splice and shrink using a hot blow dryer.

if you use the "crimp" style splice, it is suggested that you get "liquid electrical tape" for this ensures a very well insulated connection and will also protect against oxidation.... all you need to do is put a single drop in the end of the crimp splice and work it down into the plastic sleve with a toothpick or paperclip -- this stuff is messy and is almost like rubber cement, so make sure you use it in a well ventalated area - AND ITS FLAMABLE SO NO SMOKING ^_^

************PLANNING*****************

how much does your case cost??? 35-200 bucks huh?? ---- how much does a whole pad of paper cost??? 2 bucks?? and a pack of pens?? 2 bucks aswell? ---- waiste paper not your case--- even if you are the worlds WORST artist/drafter - you still build a mental image more complete if you can put your idea somewhat on paper - even if your drawings look like a 4 year old drew them -- its your understanding in your own head that you are relating to and understand what it is that you are trying to acheive ---- remember this one thing when planning a mod---- you can ALWAYS cut more off but you can NEVER "UNCUT" an OOPS -- unless that is you know how to weld sheet metal and own grinding tools and have a box and pan break

• 8 months later...

Q) Should I protect any parts of my body while cutting metal?

A) YES, and if you don't, then prepare to lose body parts.

Q) I'M DUMB AND I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE COOL AND EASY NOT TO WEAR EYE PROTECTION AND NOW MY EYE HAS METAL STUCK IN IT!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT SHOULD I DO!!!!!!??????? (don't laugh , this happened to me :P)

A) You are an idiot. Call your eye doctor immediately. Even if you think its not that bad, it will worsen. In the mean time, run water through your eyes, rinse them thoroughly, DO NOT RUB THEM, THIS WILL PUSH THE METAL FURTHER INTO YOUR CORNEA!!!!!.

Edited by trey

• 2 years later...

-----Painting-----

Q) I messed up my painting I was doing ! What should I do ?

A)Use Paint thinner to dilute your NON-DRY paint and absorb the diluted paint with a scott towel. Your mess will now be removed, without your DRIED paint being attacked. You can use a small brush with paint thinner to remove the same way the paint that went over your model.

Or

A2)Wait until it's dried and sand it again. You can now restart !