Mobo & BIOS FAQ

Ok... this is a place that we can kinda orginize many of the commonly asked questions about Motherboards & BIOSs.

Feel free to submit to this thread in a Q&A format... a staff member will edit this message from time to time with the new FAQ. :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Search The Forums : Asking For Help Guidelines : Overclockers Club Site Rules

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q) How do I reset my BIOS?

A) Methods for resetting the BIOS can vary from motherboard to motherboard, so the best way to find out is to check your motherboard manual. A Common method is special jumpers located on your motherboard.

Removing the motherboard battery is almost guaranteed to reset your BIOS (you may have to leave the battery out for a prolonged period of time)

Q: How safe is flashing your BIOS?

A: In the past few years, it's become much more reliable. Most good manufacturers have Windows-based applications that will identify the board, bios, and versions of each, then download the appropriate update, and do the flash for you.

It used to be kinda dangerous because YOU were responsible for making sure everything matched up and you had done everything right. Now, the apps do it for you, as well as making a backup (some boards have a "backup" bios too).

Of course, one little detail can make your entire board un-useable, so make sure you're careful, do backups, and make sure you are downloading the right thing.

Q: Why should I update my BIOS?

A: Generally, I don't recommend that you update your BIOS unless there is a specific function that you need that isn't in your current version. AFAIK, there haven't been any security updates that have been needed for a BIOS, and the updates are for allowing improved/increased hardware support and/or features.

• 2 weeks later...

Q: Do i need to use those brass things when mounting my motherboard?

A: Yes, Those brass things will keep the motheboard from being grounded.

Q: How safe is it to run Power cables behind my motherboard.

A: Generally this is a safe procedure. Because the wires are insulated there is no danger of the board shorting out and frying, however as a precaution try to spread them our as much as possible to prevent placing too much preasure on the motherboard causing a possible snap in the PCB.

• 2 years later...

Hi There

I have an ASUS P5GD1-VM Mobo and downloaded the latest bios update for it from ASUS site. How do i go about updating/flashing it? Tried with flash disk as primary bootup but no luck!!!

• 2 months later...
Hi There

I have an ASUS P5GD1-VM Mobo and downloaded the latest bios update for it from ASUS site. How do i go about updating/flashing it? Tried with flash disk as primary bootup but no luck!!!

Asus has a Bios Flash Utility that comes on the Disk that comes with the mainboard or available for download from their site