Occ Jobs: Now Hiring News Editors

sdy284

Job: Official OverclockersClub News Editor

Requirements: There are few requirements...

• Responsible Person
  • English and Composition skills
  • Ability to summarize news articles into your own words
  • Must have the time to post several articles a day. (Meaning you must pull your weight)

Outline:

We are looking for talented writers that have a niche for finding up-to-the-minute industry related news. These people will be required to write at least six news articles a day and post any affiliate news, such as reviews that other sites have posted. Applicants should be available between 5-11AM CST to post morning news and 3-9PM CST to post evening news. Availability and access to the internet all day is recommended.

How to Apply

You can send your resume & questions to Dave aka "Bosco" via PM or Email

Once you have been selected for the position you will be placed on a five day trial period. During such time we will evaluate your performance and make a decision at that point if we wish to keep you on the team.

I am not trying to prod at any staff members here as I had a great time being on staff and hope I am still friends with some of you, but would like to clear something up for future applicants. The "Now Hiring" portion in the title makes it sound like a paid position, this is actually a volunteer position. This being said, this is a great job with great people, being able to see whats behind the scenes and whats going on with OCC. If you have the free time to actually take up such a position it can be a fun and rewarding position, being able to be a local newsman and spread what you enjoy to the readers of OCC, of course with your own grammatical flair! I just don't have the time with trying to put myself through school and taking care of my father to live up to the position, if I could I would still be on staff... I think :P .

• 1 month later...

the 'several articles' per day is kind of vague, how much time on average per day would this be?

just wondering, since there are a lot of college students inc myself that do typically have free time, but also have absolutely 0 free time on certain given days

the 'several articles' per day is kind of vague, how much time on average per day would this be?

just wondering, since there are a lot of college students inc myself that do typically have free time, but also have absolutely 0 free time on certain given days

4-5 articles a day would be a good average. We recognize people have other commitments and can always work around your schedule as long as you are willing to contribute on a consistent basis.

Do you get a list of sources to grab the stories or is it up to you?

Both actually. Sometimes we'll have a list of stories, but editors would be expected to develop their own sources as they gain experience.

• 3 weeks later...

Are there any perks like recieving hardware to review and such? Looking at the requirements this seems pretty much like a full time Job and i know the experience can be a added bonus for anyone but since this is not a payable position, i was wondering what kind of benifits does this job offer?

Edited by jasonelmore

The news editors positions are volunteer positions and should involve around 30-minutes to an hour every day unless you want to devote more time. It's a chance to gain experience and contribute to one of the best technology communities on the Web. News editors are not compensated (but I have been told chicks dig news guys - truth :lol:). I'd encourage you to think about it and send a PM or email to bosco if you're interested.