NTLDR missing?

I got my NF4-UD today and it went together pretty easy. When I loaded windows for the first time it made my C: drive E: for some reason so I reformatted with P.E. Builder because I am now getting a "NTLDR is missing" message when I try to boot from CD. I also noticed that when the computer starts the keyboard is functional but as soon as it gets the the boot from cd screen it stops working. This is really annoying, I've built a few computers and never seen this before.

Is there something I'm missing here? I've reset the CMOS, tried a different keyboard, and anything else I coud think of.

"NTLDR is missing"

I had the same problem when I built my pc last month. Basically, there is a boot file on one of your hard drives or floppy file.

Easiest solution, format all your hard drives, disconnect any that have had a windows operating system or boot to cd-rom and disable search for other devices - but you want the mobo/bios to ignore all drives but your cd-rom.

Edit: Here's a little more in depth analysis of this problem.

Before you reformatt go into the bios or hit escape while the system is booting up. Either way force the pc to boot up on the drive that has your OS.

When i put in a new Hd in my system my pc kept trying to boot to it. I had to make sure my bios was set to boot the the HD with my OS which fixed the problem.

You may end up reformatting anyway. Windows can be a bit picky if the drive isn't C.

Good luck

Guest burningrave101

Try going into the BIOS and under Advanced BIOS options go to hard drive boot order and make sure the drive your booting windows from is first on the list.

And i do hope you did a clean install of Windows when you installed the motherboard. You shouldn't try to hook up your hard drives that have a pre-existing OS install and expect it to work with a new motherboard.

Guest scaramonga

Cause...............(1 of)

1. Computer is booting from a non-bootable source.

2. Computer hard disk drive is not properly setup in BIOS.

3. Corrupt NTLDR and/or NTDETECT.COM file.

4. Misconfiguration with the boot.ini file.

5. Attempting to upgrade from a Windows 95, 98, or ME computer that is using FAT32.

6. New hard disk drive being added.

7. Corrupt boot sector / master boot record.

8. Seriously corrupted version of Windows 2000 or Windows XP.

9. Loose or Faulty IDE/EIDE hard disk drive cable.

CURE

:)

I got my NF4-UD today and it went together pretty easy. When I loaded windows for the first time it made my C: drive E: for some reason so I reformatted with P.E. Builder because I am now getting a "NTLDR is missing" message when I try to boot from CD. I also noticed that when the computer starts the keyboard is functional but as soon as it gets the the boot from cd screen it stops working. This is really annoying, I've built a few computers and never seen this before.

Is there something I'm missing here? I've reset the CMOS, tried a different keyboard, and anything else I coud think of.

ALso make sure that you enable stuff for your periphs

• 3 weeks later...
Same problem here, this sucks.

There's one other reason to add to the list above: (I know this because I had this problem earlier this week)

If you install Windows-XP in RAID mode and upgrade the BIOS, the RAID setting becomes disabled. This results in exactly the same error message. The easy solution in this case is to re-enable RAID in the BIOS and the system should boot up again.