My new Rig

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 FE4R

FE4R

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 01:40 PM

I am building a new game box, its a mid gaming machine. I have the following parts put down, I am simply waiting for my nForce4 Ultra D and a 3200+ Venice to arrive (prolly next two weeks since I am in the Caribbean).

Here is what I expect to have:
DDR500 RAM 2 x 512MB - Geil Ultra Link
MSI 6600GT PCIX
AMD 3200+ Venice
DFI nForce4 Ultra D

I read that this was a great board... I am now seeing that it also has a HUGE amount of problems, I am now thinking it may not be worth getting it after all. Please tell me if I may or may not have any probs with this build.

#2 Angry_Games

Angry_Games

Honorary Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27999 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 02:05 PM

power supply is very important...what psu do you plan to use?
Diablo III arrives at Angry's house:
Posted Image

#3 FE4R

FE4R

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 02:10 PM

I have a 400Watt PSU, as I said I am in the Caribbean, getting a good PSU is gonna be expensive for me right now. Its not even a brand name PSU, however it ran my GA-K8NS-Ultra 939 board with a samsung 160GB drive, a cd burner and a cd drive with my 6600GT agp and 2x512MB ram quite well. I intend to use a 24 PIN adapter since it is a 20 PIN PSU. This is just tempory untill I can get a decent PSU.

#4 FE4R

FE4R

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 03:08 PM

I have until tomorrow morning to make the choice on which board to get... and from reading the many problems on this site I am not really digging the DFI board again.

#5 cpuz

cpuz

Total Nerd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3602 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 03:10 PM

I have until tomorrow morning to make the choice on which board to get... and from reading the many problems on this site I am not really digging the DFI board again.

There are plenty more that have absolutely ZERO problems w/ the board. They usually don't post in forums like this, why should they? So what you find in forums like this are only the reported probs.

Remember, 20-24 pin connectors are not recommended w/ that board.

#6 bypolar

bypolar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 03:22 PM

Well if you want a tried and true board get the DFI UT 250GB it has been through the ringer and has turned out to be a great stable board out of the box.

I have no Idea why you would try to use a 400W power supply when DFI say a 480W is recomended.

I would say YES you are going to encounter some issues "maybe",but be ready for them. That is part of the game.

#7 FE4R

FE4R

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 03:36 PM

well, I have to take baby steps u get me? I cant get everything all at once -especially here where I cant get a name brand PSU. All I can seem to find is generic sh!t. I REALLY REALLY want this board. It has the options I want as I am an avid ocer. I love ocing.

So I take it everything would work out ok except for my PSU??? If thast the case I'll go ahead with my order as I am able to borrow a decent PSU. If not I cant get the board it would cost me too much.

oh yes -I dont have the board as yet but what BIOS should I use when/if I get it?

#8 FE4R

FE4R

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 04:53 PM

HELLO? Am I alone here? I need to know, I dont want to make any mistakes

#9 ricey

ricey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 05:08 PM

Hi

use the 310 BIOS (which should come with your board). Only flash to a newer BIOS if you have problems.

Refer to this thread for info about power supplies.

David Hammocks psu guide

You need a minimum of 480 watts to reliably run your board.

Cheers,

ricey

#10 FE4R

FE4R

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 05:21 PM

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817182013

is that ok? I know that they require 480 Watts in 24 PIN, what if I use an adapter as a temp. solution? what could happen by using the a 20 PIN 480Watts PSU with an adapter?

REPLY ASAP if you know. Thank You.

#11 StephenC

StephenC

Total Nerd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2525 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 05:27 PM

Read this first.

http://www.dfi-stree...read.php?t=7619

Then go hear.

http://www.dfi-stree...ead.php?t=10854

#12 FE4R

FE4R

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 June 2005 - 06:34 PM

yes, thank you -but are you all understanding my situation? I cant jus go BAM! an buy everything in sight... no. I have to make steps. I know I need at least 480Watts and I know I need a 24 pin PSU. However I will not get any of those expensive PSU I have just seen. I will be using that Rosewill Value when I get enough cash as it meets the requirements and is in my price range.

I have a temperary solution of using a 24 PIN PSU with 500 Wats. The only draw back is that it only has 19A on the 12V rail. Yes it doesnt meet the requirements but its the best I can do right now.

Comments needed please... ASAP