[Resolved] resolution for disappearing Maxtor drives? (post #12)

Athlon,

I too had many similar problems with my DiamondMax 10 250GB 16mb cache sata drive. Lockups; corruption errors; BSOD; windows chkdsk everytime I booted, etc..

After spending far too much time with techs I was ready to follow CPUZ advice and say to hell with it, but I stumbled across a forum out there identifyign the NF4 Forceware driver being the problem. Specifically, it was the IDE-SW part of the driver (during install it prompts you to install it)

I reinstalled the NF4 driver, told the IDE-SW to go to hell and my hard drive purrs like a kitten for the past 1.5 years. Maybe that could be it for you.....

Turns out it was nVidia software not Maxtor firmware that was the problem. (nVidia = good hardware but their software needs some work sometimes)

PS: They also sell NEC monitors and BFG video cards at Staples but that doesn't mean they're both junk either..........

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If NE1 is interested I'll Up it to RapidShare??

Grzyb

That might not be a good idea.

Seems there are minor hardware differences in this series of drives, and they need different BIOS.

That's why Maxtor just didn't leave it on there download page for anyone to use.

• 3 weeks later...
Here is the RapidShare Link For the VA111680 Firmware,

I have Updated My Maxtor & Fingers crossed so far so good, It's been in over a week and is still seen, although I have put the OS On a different SATA Disk, just in case it disappears again!!!!

http://rapidshare.de/files/23092024/VA111680.zip.html

Thanks Grzyb!

What model drive do you have...? My current drive is the 7V300F0.

-Thanks

Model Number is

6V080E0

Was running the shipped VA111630 Fimware, but the Drive kept on disappearing about every 7-10days, No Bios detect etc,

Like I said Touch wood, It's been OK for the last Couple of weeks.....

My drive seemed fine with the VA111670 firmware. Of course, I am still running it in a 1 drive configuration. The only problems I had heard of with 111670, were in RAID configurations. Then the 111680 appears, and I couldn't resist. I've been running it for a few days and all is still fine.

-LaTeR

I have compressed the 2 files into a .ZIP, but it is 1.57MB... apparently dfi-street allows only 100KB... If anyone wants it, I can e-mail it to you... possibly someone could host it?!

-LaTeR

Upload it to http://www.rapidshare.de

100Mb limit and it's free.

Good job, should help some others.

• 2 months later...

I have 2 Maxline III 7V300F0 (firmware VA111630) in Raid 0 on nforce4 controler, and i'm having problems during windows... Sometimes one of the disks turns off and the system doesn't respond until the disk restarts and spins up again, othertimes the windows freezes on startup... the disks often are not recognized by the controler too....

Can u help whith this problem?

Other questuion, firmware update makes data lost?

Anyone can send me the last firmware for 7V300F0? my email: [email protected]x (remove the "xx")

Sorry for the english, regards