OCZ Prime Stable Database (updated 2/06/2006)

O.K. AndyOCZ has sent me the message. So it means my Akasa with 29A on combined 12V rail (14+15)

is sufficient for my 6600GT set, isn't it ? But after all still I can't comprehend why manufacturers recommend PSUs with split 12V rail also for AMD64 if boards include 4pin additional power supply connector only and that second 8pin connection must stay dormant.

I thought some more about your questions:

That combined 12v rail looks ok. I am not fmailiar with a Asaka PSU. If it's a good 460w model with an actual 29A 12v rails combined total you are right at the upper limit. You might be fine for even 2 x 6600GT. If you had 2 x 6800GT you would certainly have issues. You are pushing a bit and if you are having overclocking issues this may be why.

You want to stay away from cold cathode lights and accessories that run off of 12v.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought some more about your questions:

That combined 12v rail looks ok. I am not fmailiar with a Asaka PSU. If it's a good 460w model with an actual 29A 12v rails combined total you are right at the upper limit. You might be fine for even 2 x 6600GT. If you had 2 x 6800GT you would certainly have issues. You are pushing a bit and if you are having overclocking issues this may be why.

You want to stay away from cold cathode lights and accessories that run off of 12v.

Fine. You quite calmed me down. And final question. Do you recommend to remove UV cathodes from my comp at all or can I switch them on if the system isn't loaded (f.e. in the time of surfing on internet or downloading something) and isn't overclocked ?

Fine. You quite calmed me down. And final question. Do you recommend to remove UV cathodes from my comp at all or can I switch them on if the system isn't loaded (f.e. in the time of surfing on internet or downloading something) and isn't overclocked ?

Just switch them off. I had trouble running mine in my old NF2 rig. The old Enermax 375w was just not enough. I wonder if the DFI NF4 would even power up with it? LOL

Bizzare memory issue...

When running dual channel my 3200 EL Rev.2 (no part number here, sorry Im at work) Im getting errors in the 8th test of mem86+ v1.51. This is even at stock... When running single channel Im up to 280 (3-3-3-6) and passing on both sticks. I was sick two days this week (as in feber and not wanting to go to work and spread the happiness) so I fiddled with my computer, and I basically cant get anything over 200 stable on DC... (RGones settings with more versions then I care to remember) My money is on the memory controler but have U ever seen anything like it? Also is there some remedies that could work that U know of. Singlem channel the CPU Rox (11*275 stable [afaik] and 11*280 Battlefield 1942-stable) so it would hurt to have to replace it with a 0504..

Running 2/18 now had issues w. 2/01 and 1/25. A_G just suggested that Id go to the 3/10 so I'll try that but I dont think it will solve this.

Cheers

If you are having trouble getting your TCCD sticks to fly with the eagles try the following.

These are a compilation / condensation of settings that Angry_Games, Rgone and an obscure

post I ran into Oskar Wu some where, have published. These settings are batting damn near

1000 with any TCCD sticks (Geil 3200 UltraX, OCZ TCCD, and Gskill TCCD for sure) in a DFI

NF4 for killer memory Mhz. Remember you still have to have a PS with enough butt on the

12V rail(s) and a CPU with memory controllers that will fly as well.

Use the 2/09 or later bios (The 2/09 is a good starting place for sorting out). Also keep

the CPU multi down (whole number only!) so you do not over speed the CPU and get Memtest

errors from that while trying to find the memories max Mhz ability.

On Bios Genie Page

LDT Ratio = Auto

LDT Volts = 1.30 to 1.40 - Try lower or even default first

Chipset Volts = 1.70 to 1.80 - Try lower first or even default first

Vdimm Volts = 2.90 to 3.00 - Winchester's are not thrilled with Vdimm above 2.90 typically!

Memory Settings Page from top down

Enable

7 (or 8)

17 - may be reduced to 14 with most TCCD sticks

3 - may be reduced to 2 with most TCCD sticks

Enable

All the rest at Default/Auto EXCEPT for Dram Drive Strenght which needs to be set to 8.

The tip on the Dram Drive Strenght was the obscure post from Oscar Wu I was refering to

which I have tried in vain to find again. It is the difference between being stuck at 240-250

and being able to so 290-300+ with TCCD sticks in most cases.

Happy 290 - 300+ Mhz

Viper

Geil 3200 UltraX Update

It now appears that new build Geil 3200 UltraX with serial numbers of 500xxxx or later are

no longer using Samsung TCCD chips and are now using Winbond BH5. This is straight out

of a Geil engineers mouth (well keyboard actually).

Viper

Angry edit: be aware that most 3000+ and 3200+ Winchester core cpu's will do 2400Mhz on stock voltages (cpu voltage, LDT voltage, chipset voltage). Vdimm voltage is the only thing you should have to increase to get to 300*8 or any other equivalent of 2400Mhz. YMMV, but I've found this to be true on 5 different 3200+/3000+ cpu's now. Happy clocking!

Just switch them off. I had trouble running mine in my old NF2 rig. The old Enermax 375w was just not enough. I wonder if the DFI NF4 would even power up with it? LOL

well...it powers up with the 500w Bluestorm and the 420w OCZ Powerstream (2x CCFL lights)

ive not really checked the power draw...but I am moving away from needing lighting and UV and pretty colors these days (i keep buying aluminum cases without windows lol)

that old enermax though...i wouldnt trust it with CCFL lighting on the NF4

Hi Andy

I'm having a bizarre issue. I have 4x512 sticks of GSkill PC4400LE ram that will Prime95 torture test in 2 Windows running constantly, pass all 3DMark benchmarks, pass Memtest for hours and hours, but when playing certain games the system will hardlock..........This is on a clean install of WindowsXP Pro SP1 updated, all latest mobo/chipset drivers and latest patches for these games. Take 2 sticks out and the problem goes away...................it CAN'T be the on-die memcontroller or else it would crash in the benches I've mentioned that it easily passes.

I've got the Command Per Clock(CPC) at [Auto] and even tried [Disable], left all memtimings on [AUTO] and messed with the VCore and VDIMM and even LDT/chipset voltages and I still get hardlocks when gaming. Heat has been ruled out.

I want to know if setting the FSB to 200 1:1 is actually overclocking the memory with 4 DIMMS filled, and that the real default is DDR333 vs. DDR400 like one would think. I'm not computer suave, but games that are known to be sensitive to overclocking are the ones that are hardlocking.............even at FSB200 1:1 memtimings AUTO. These games run fine at DDR333 speeds..........hmmmm.

Is there a bios setting I'm missing that might help resolve this issue? Not necessarily a memtiming setting as I've even tried these on [AUTO] as stated to no avail.

Hi Andy

I'm having a bizarre issue. I have 4x512 sticks of GSkill PC4400LE ram that will Prime95 torture test in 2 Windows running constantly, pass all 3DMark benchmarks, pass Memtest for hours and hours, but when playing certain games the system will hardlock..........This is on a clean install of WindowsXP Pro SP1 updated, all latest mobo/chipset drivers and latest patches for these games. Take 2 sticks out and the problem goes away...................it CAN'T be the on-die memcontroller or else it would crash in the benches I've mentioned that it easily passes.

I've got the Command Per Clock(CPC) at [Auto] and even tried [Disable], left all memtimings on [AUTO] and messed with the VCore and VDIMM and even LDT/chipset voltages and I still get hardlocks when gaming. Heat has been ruled out.

I want to know if setting the FSB to 200 1:1 is actually overclocking the memory with 4 DIMMS filled, and that the real default is DDR333 vs. DDR400 like one would think. I'm not computer suave, but games that are known to be sensitive to overclocking are the ones that are hardlocking.............even at FSB200 1:1 memtimings AUTO. These games run fine at DDR333 speeds..........hmmmm.

Is there a bios setting I'm missing that might help resolve this issue? Not necessarily a memtiming setting as I've even tried these on [AUTO] as stated to no avail.

Hard locking in "certain" games is almost always a Game / Video card / Card Driver issue when

you have no lockup issues in the 3D Benchmarks.

Have you checked the game makers website for game updates or visited the forums at the

game's website for other users having similar issues with a 6800GT in the game??

Viper

Hard locking in "certain" games is almost always a Game / Video card / Card Driver issue when

you have no lockup issues in the 3D Benchmarks.

Have you checked the game makers website for game updates or visited the forums at the

game's website for other users having similar issues with a 6800GT in the game??

Viper

Hi Viper.

Indeed, all games are updated................and taking out two sticks of ram solves the issue as well as lowering my memory to the 5/6 divider vs. 1:1 with all 4DIMMS filled.

Been inquiring about this at FutureMark as well and here is what X-Bitlabs has to say:

Besides the support of dual-channel memory access, the AMD engineers improved the memory controller of Socket 939 CPUs for better compatibility with different memory modules. They introduced a special 2T DRAM Timing, which lowers the bar the memory controller of the Athlon 64 sets for DDR SDRAM modules. Thanks to that, the Socket 939 Athlon 64 can work with four memory modules in the DDR400 SDRAM mode. You should be aware, though, that the highest performance, with the most aggressive 1T timing, is only achievable when you plug in a couple of identical DDR400 SDRAM modules. When four memory modules are in use, the memory controller of the Athlon 64 can only support DDR400 SDRAM with the slower 2T timing. Moreover, if the four installed modules are two-sided, the speed of the memory subsystem will be dropped to DDR333 even with 2T timing.

Precisely what is going on.crash.gifthumbdown.gif

It does seem to be overclocking my memory when all 4DIMMS are filled and the DRAM FREQ is set to 200 1:1...........because I do fall into the "two-sided" memory category.

Any other bios setting you can think of that I may have overlooked that would alleviate this issue...........fire away..........I like using 2gigs, but the hardlocks are annoying.

Hi Viper.

Indeed, all games are updated................and taking out two sticks of ram solves the issue as well as lowering my memory to the 5/6 divider vs. 1:1 with all 4DIMMS filled.

Been inquiring about this at FutureMark as well and here is what X-Bitlabs has to say:

Besides the support of dual-channel memory access, the AMD engineers improved the memory controller of Socket 939 CPUs for better compatibility with different memory modules. They introduced a special 2T DRAM Timing, which lowers the bar the memory controller of the Athlon 64 sets for DDR SDRAM modules. Thanks to that, the Socket 939 Athlon 64 can work with four memory modules in the DDR400 SDRAM mode. You should be aware, though, that the highest performance, with the most aggressive 1T timing, is only achievable when you plug in a couple of identical DDR400 SDRAM modules. When four memory modules are in use, the memory controller of the Athlon 64 can only support DDR400 SDRAM with the slower 2T timing. Moreover, if the four installed modules are two-sided, the speed of the memory subsystem will be dropped to DDR333 even with 2T timing.

Precisely what is going on.crash.gifthumbdown.gif

It does seem to be overclocking my memory when all 4DIMMS are filled and the DRAM FREQ is set to 200 1:1...........because I do fall into the "two-sided" memory category.

Any other bios setting you can think of that I may have overlooked that would alleviate this issue...........fire away..........I like using 2gigs, but the hardlocks are annoying.

It may be related to the memory load. Easy enough to find out though...just pull the sticks

out of the yellow slots and give that a bit of a go.

You could also try disabling Fast Writes and bumping the AGP voltage up .10 volts to see if

that helps any. O don't it but ya never know until you give it a go.

Viper

Hi Andy

Believe it or not, AMD says that the A64 939 does not support 4 double sided dimms (and they are right). You will have to downclock to DDR333 speeds (or slightly more) to be stable. Running 2 x 1gb sticks will run at 200mhz, but not much more.