Best_Monitor_Ever

Capo

I definitely agree that this is a gaming monitor, anything else would probably be annoying.

I disagree. It'd be great for photo/video editing and anything else that takes advantage of dual+ monitor setups. But it might be a pain to find a background for it.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But it might be a pain to find a background for it.
This one is neat:

100vf2.th.jpg

I found it the other day, I had/have no use for it but its a sweet picture so downloaded it...

Edited by Andrewr05

I disagree. It'd be great for photo/video editing and anything else that takes advantage of dual+ monitor setups. But it might be a pain to find a background for it.

A curved monitor would be absolutely HORRIBLE for photo/video editing. That's not an opinion, that's a fact.

A curved monitor would be absolutely HORRIBLE for photo/video editing. That's not an opinion, that's a fact.

I'm going to go with opinion on this one. You can't make that call until we have reports on actually using this for video/photo editing. After all, the alienware rep in the gizmodo video suggests alternative uses as video, photo, or publishing. I can't see him making that claim if it it would really be HORRIBLE as you put it.

Remember, we used CRTs curved the other direction for a number of decades. I think if you extended an old CRT to the width of that alienware, the curve on the CRT would probably be more extreme than the alienware. With the proper focusing/image adjustment, I can't see why the inward curve would be bad.

Flat screens have always been the best for photo/video editing and always will be. A curved surface causes distortion which would make it very difficult to perform fine tuning when editing. There's no way that would be a better monitor to use than a 2880x900 flat screen.

Why? Curving it allows you to see the image without distortion...since viewing a flat image on a large flat screen allows your eyes to do the distortion. :P

This isn't your typical curved screen though either. And I agree, traditionally, flat screens have been better for such uses. But until we get some real world usage info on this thing, I don't think we can make a call on whether this will be worse than a flat screen.

You're also forgetting that the distortion on CRTs isn't really caused by the curvature of the screen itself, but by the location of the electron guns relative to the screen. The curvature is there to minimize the distortion. For all we know, they may have found a way for DLP to work in a manner that things will look perfect on a curved screen. It's all speculation, so to make calls about "fact" at this point is rather presumptuous.

um... it's curved like that to give a more realistic 3d image... well at least to fool the eyes better. similar to what Imax does. I don't think it would "hurt" any other functions, just take some getting used to.

much like many people can't get used to having 3 or 4 large LCD's running at once. some people have problems with having multiple screens set up in a horseshoe type pattern.

You beat me to it. Yep, it's not LCD technology... which means it may be a bit cheaper. :) Though certainly anything with Alienware's name on it will double it's price. ;) I definitely agree that this is a gaming monitor, anything else would probably be annoying.

Well, can't remember where I saw it..but I read that I think NEC has one also and saw that the Alienware will have a price tag near $3000....I think its neat, but for that price you can forget it.

Did anyone notice that Crysis lagged there? I find it quite funny that they still can't get that game to run smoothly even on top of the line hardware they should have access to.

Crysis runs like crap on everything. :lol: