Hard Drive DMA Problem

Psywar

Hey ya'll

In recent forums I said my comp was running terribly slow..

I finally Found out why..

My HD is running In PIO Mode..

I have it set to Use DMA If Availble..

But.. Its not using it..

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to FORCE it to DMA or something..

anything at all to get this thing going again?

thanks

the best way to enable DMA is through your BIOS, (depending on what version your using) anyway search through your BIOS and you can enable DMA on any slavemasters.

You could also go to windows device manager and right click on you hard drive and go to propeties. You can ussaly enable DMA here, I hope i could help you ???

• 4 weeks later...

I don't quite understand what differences there are between DMA and ATA hard drives? Are the yjust ATA hard drives in a certain setting. I want to get a new motherboard(a really nice Soyo that runs DMA supposedly). I currently have an Intel motherboard that is an ATA motherboard in my components listing, but when I boot up(my boot is very fast and this is for under a second) under the device listings it talks about a DMA hard drive? I am wondering about this because to replace my 120 GB 7200 rpm HD would not be cheap and I do not want to waste $200 on a motherboard to only learn that it is not compatible. Could someone get back to me quickly I really want to know about this soon?