Trying to understand the motherboards fan headers

pie

RPMs aren't the point here, it has to do with power draw, bigger fans have larger motors in them, and thus they draw more power. Any fan drawing more than 0.25A shouldn't be plugged into the headers.

whats the Amp on this fan? http://www.jab-tech.com/product.php?productid=2608 i got that because it had a low wattage draw, Verran also said that fan should be fine on a mobo.

If my unit knowledge is correct, the current on that is .11 amps(110 mA). Don't hold that to heart, though. I've been making quite a few stupid little mistakes as of late. But if I do happen to be correct, that fan is safe to plug into your mobo.

If my unit knowledge is correct, the current on that is .11 amps(110 mA). Don't hold that to heart, though. I've been making quite a few stupid little mistakes as of late. But if I do happen to be correct, that fan is safe to plug into your mobo.

That's correct :thumbs-up:

Google also suggests that the maximum current for the fan headers is 500mA / 0.5A. I don't know how true that is, if there is any kind of specification / standard etc. It might even vary from board to board. I expect a most fans, even 120mm ones, will be fine if it's 500mA per header.

RPMs aren't the point here, it has to do with power draw, bigger fans have larger motors in them, and thus they draw more power. Any fan drawing more than 0.25A shouldn't be plugged into the headers.

Well my 120mm pulls .20A, so I guess I'm good :D