OCC Reviews the Logitech G51 Surround Sound Speaker System

road-runner

I don't remember thinking all that highly of the G51s the last time I heard them (especially not from a sound quality standpoint)...have they changed that model recently?

EDIT: They were z-5500s, sorry. :(

I don't have the G51's, but I have the Z-5400's, which are also 5.1, and I simply love them! If Logitech makes sound systems like the Z-5400's, this G51 simply CAN NOT be bad :)

The Z-5400s sound like poo...but they do get loud. If that's all you're looking for then so be it, but I'd never want to listen to music on them.

The Z-5400s sound like poo...but they do get loud. If that's all you're looking for then so be it, but I'd never want to listen to music on them.

Wait... Say what? Z-5400's like poo?! What did you measure this by? And no, I am not one of those e-thugs who only listens to loud music but doesn't care about the quality, I listen to a lot of house/trance/electronic, but also alternative/rock/metal/industrial, so I think I have a pretty good mix of musik there to test out this setup. It's a great sound system, the only system up to now that I have heard/used that will beat this one in terms of sound quality (I'm not that much into it), is the Bang & Ollufsen from the Audi A8.

Wait... Say what? Z-5400's like poo?! What did you measure this by?

They have a very boomy and peaky sub combined with a "full-range" 2.5" driver that has tinny midrange and almost no midbass. That, and the sub isn't all that linear at high volumes and tends to sound like crap when trying to dig low into it's passband (it's a 4th order bandpass sub and doesn't have a very wide passband).

I had a set of them for two weeks before returning them and moving back to my Advent AV570s.

Sound freaks.... :rolleyes:

Whatever helps you sleep at night. :rolleyes:

I'm no audiophile but I do like my music to sound good. There just aren't all that many computer-oriented speakers systems that sound remotely good. There are a ton of them that get pretty damn loud though...and that's exactly what 99% of the market wants right now. The appearance of quality has become more important than quality itself. Why do you think Bose is still in business???

Listen, I wanted a system that won't break the bank, but will have 5.1 sound (mainly for gaming/movie purposes, there's nothing like gunshots coming from the right back of my room!), and that'll sound decent. I went from a 20$ 2.1 Creative system (from Wal Mart of course :P) to these, so they are indeed pretty good. And, just by the by, what is your definition of "pretty damn loud"? From what I can hear (no audiophile here), they sound crisp and clear, no matter what musik I play!