intel Or Amd?

Guest tlivingston

Guest tlivingston

I'm building a comp with water (and possibly peltier) cooling and want a good chip to oc. I really like Intel's HT so I think i'm gonna go with that. Any comments oon how to oc that chip or why I should get an AMD?

Edited by tlivingston

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AMDs will overclock a lot higher than Intels because you can unlock the multiplier on AMDs but no Intel. I dont know if any of AMDs chips have HT but the Barton 3000 might but im not sure but AMD is still a way better valuel.

AMD's don't have HT. HT is intel.

Now, the AMD's are better value. They dropped over 100 bucks (most anyways).

Now which is a better value you dark side users!?

Sweet, just saw my F@H and now I am 28th. I got a 400 to do, so it'll be a while. Should gain another position or 2. WOOT!

Edited by Overclocker16

Depends on who you talk to. Some will say AMD, some will say Intel.

I say AMD all the way. AMD (as I have seen) does better in gaming. AMD has a better bang for the buck.

Some will say Intel.

Don't start a flame war. But I think you should get an AMD with the Asus A7N8X Deluxe (Epox is good, the Asus has more options).

Just whatever you prefer.

Also the new intel chip based on the canterwood core looks really good (although i'm amd). with a system bus speed of 800Mhz, amd's can't come close to that bus speed. also, memory wise, the intel chip can access memory much faster and more efficiently, esp w/RDRAM. the intel can take 4 independent transactions from the ram.

Now if you go with intel and a motherboard that supports RDRAM, you'll have to make sure your ok with paying more for the faster, more expensive ram. I have never read anything about overclocking RDRAM (i also haven't been looking) but i'm sure it is possible to do. When do you want/have to make your decision by?

p.s: the new intel cpu costs less than the new amd for some reason. the top model of amd processors no longer seem to be more cost effective than intels. if you look at the lower models though, you can see amd's better price to performance ratio show. just an observation from last week. not sure what prices have changed.

Guest tlivingston

What about the Hyper Threadin on the P4? How good is that? Like how much more (in mhz) would a 3.0 oc from each company? Is HT worth sascrificin a bit of ocing for?

The current Intel cpu's overclock much better than the AMD's. They cost more, but they are worth every penny.
youve got it backwards the AMDs overclock way better than Intels ask just about anybody and they will say AMD overclock way higher. and the HT is only good for using multiple applications at one time without slowing your system down. its not like it makes it faster for gaming or anything.

The current Intel cpu's overclock much better than the AMD's. They cost more, but they are worth every penny.
youve got it backwards the AMDs overclock way better than Intels ask just about anybody and they will say AMD overclock way higher. and the HT is only good for using multiple applications at one time without slowing your system down. its not like it makes it faster for gaming or anything.

Check your facts. In fact, check my sig and show me an AMD cpu that will overclock like my P4 1.6A. 1.1GHz overclock or 69%. Show me just one AMD that overclocks that much. You're living in yesterday.