Looking at a Nikon D40X Kit

rh535

My family has used a point and shoot camera for the past 4 years and our looking to get something better. I have read reviews and i think i like the Nikon D40X Kit. Is this a good camera for shooting fast sporting events(baseball, Soccer)?

Thanks

My family has used a point and shoot camera for the past 4 years and our looking to get something better. I have read reviews and i think i like the Nikon D40X Kit. Is this a good camera for shooting fast sporting events(baseball, Soccer)?

Thanks

For those sports, the camera isn't necessarily the thing you need for good shots: it's a monopod and a press pass to the foot of the field and a MASSIVE lens :)

We're talking 400mm with a s.exy low f-stop value :) Generally speaking, so long as the lens is suitable, I would happily say that when set up correctly, most digital SLRs would be okay for those sports when coupled with a suitable lens.

For sports i mean high school soccer and baseball(close to action). Would a 18-55mm be okay?

If you want close-ups, even when close to the action, I used to struggle on a 200mm lens. See attached.

img38840le.jpg

img38863ow.jpg

img38368pe.jpg

img37381fp.jpg

img38274mm.jpg

img38954dy.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I couldn't see doing sports with anything less than a fast 200-300mm lense, especially if it's indoor use. If you're only using it outdoors, I've had good luck with the Nikkor 70-300mm VR lense. It would work well with a D40x as it is an AF-S lense, so no worries about auto focusing.

Just to let everyone know i did get the Nikon D40X Kit and i love it. We vactioned in NYC this week and saw A-Rod hit is 500th home run.

Here is the pic with the basic lens and D40X. It is at half of its size to fit the upload restrictions. Also should i shoot in JPEG-fine or RAW?

post-13696-1186430505_thumb.jpg

Not really... digital cameras can't really deal with low light levels very well, and noise appears in these areas. Increase the shutter speed (for sports) and you let less light in, so it has more difficulty making a noise-free image. Most cameras have noise reduction, but it doesn't always eliminate all of it.

Edit: If you've got enough space, shoot both!

As that can be avoided by using RAWs?

I just find the gaininess of those pics unacceptable, but i am sure there is a way around it (and silverfox, your other pics super so dont take this as an attack lol)

I find them unacceptable too, but look at the size of the file for a start. Pure compression (~800kb from 5MB means you lose quite a lot at the standard resolution). I tend not to shoot in RAW as post processing is a pain and is not really beneficial in my eyes over the high-quality JPEG setting. If you want the originals of these, I can root them out for you, but they are much larger in file size.