How much damage to my car?

Bionix

So, I was on vacation back in march and a drunk driver side swiped my rental car (new mustang convertable). He ripped the mirror off and scratched it + put a couple dents up the whole length of the car. These pics do a pretty poor job.. but how much do you think a rental company would charge for this damage? I have absolutely no idea, but I'm gonna throw this number out - $2000?. But, I'm sure rental places jack you, and they're gonna want to do the most expensive repairs possible.

post-8048-1181062748_thumb.jpg

post-8048-1181062815_thumb.jpg

post-8048-1181062888_thumb.jpg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sadly yes.

I guess his insurance company isn't paying for this? I dont honestly knows how the system works in America, but here if he stopped his insurance company would be paying for it.

As for the damage, you may be right with that figure. As you say, they wont have any expense spared if they can help it.

Again, if this applies to you the system may be different, but I had my car hit once - while it was parked lol. Anyway their insurance company tried to tell me where to get the work done. However in the end I managed to get them to accept to pay for the work to get done where I wanted, and I got a nice job done - that panel is now nicer than the rest of the car. That actually sounds less and less relevant the more I type, but there you go :closedeyes:

His attorney said that I need to give an estimate for the amount the guy owes me by this thursday. Otherwise, the only way I'll be able to get money from him is to take him to civil court (it's criminal court right now). I'd rather throw him a higher estimate, than risk not getting anything. The guy was driving an 07 Lexus, he was all blinged out in gold and tried to buy me off at the scene of the crime. I politely rejected and said 'No, you're going to jail', which he did.

Here's what happened: Driving home on the interstate, 3am, in the right lane, doing 65mph, empty road. All the sudden I hear a CRACKSMASHKURPLOW as the car sideswipes me and takes off speeding down the highway. He was doing AT LEAST 95 MPH. I floor it, flashing my high beams, honking my horn.. trying to catch up and get this person to pull over. He keeps driving. He gets to a toll, I run out of the car and bang on his window. The guy was so drunk he was either pretending, or actually did not even know he hit me. I get him out of the car, he pukes all over my shoes and the ground. Call the cops, and the rest is history.

well I don't know how much damage it would be. Best thing is to let the rental car place know and have them get an estimate, or take it to a shop and let them give you an estimate.

I can't do either unfortunately. Avis said it could take all the way up to 6 months - 1 year to get the amount of damage. I need it by thursday. I'd take it to a shop, but the car is in FL, I'm in VT. I've posted pics on a mustang forum, and I'm going to call the local ford dealership right.. now.

So are you already settled with the rental people? Was the damage covered by rental insurance?

If so, then this money is for you? :) The guy sounds like a total dueche, so I'd take him for all he's worth too :)

$2000 actually sounds fairly reasonable. The mirror doesn't look like it's painted, so it'd just need to be swapped out. The paint actually doesn't look that bad at all, but I can't see any of the dents you're referring to, so maybe the pictures aren't really doing it justice. As long as there's no major dent pulling involved, $2000 seems like an average to somewhat high ballpark. The best bet would be to swing it by a body shop. If you tell them it's just for an insurance job, they can usually give you a quick (and a little high) estimate.