what the heck: Information monitor is in powersave mode activate using

Swampfox

The monitor is receiving power but the screen is blank. A message appears: Information-Monitor in power save mode-Activate using PC- This message stays on and then clicks off. . I've turned the computer off, reconnected everything several times and still the same thing occurs. I have a 400W psu running a intel core2duo processor at 1.86ghz, a gig of ram, video card is an ati x1650 pro in a pci express slot, and the motherboard is a jetway 775gt-1 with fsb1066. everything is compatable (and brand new), I say this because just yesterday everything was running smoothly and I was playing medieval II without a problem. Nothing over-heated. No problems with game play. Also no beep codes go off. and the computer loads perfectly just no screen. According to the documentation on the video card it can run with a 400 watt powersupply with a computer fully loaded. The motherboard says the minimum is a 350 watt psu. It could possibly be the ps. I don't know? Has anyone else run across this?

and the computer loads perfectly just no screen.

how do you know the computer loads if you can't see anything?

i'd try disconnecting all the harddrive and optical drive power, all the case fans, and try to boot up the bare basic cpu/ram/mobo/gpu combo... i'd suspect the power supply... 400w no-name psu wouldnt be my first choice for a dual core cpu

i would defently suggest checking out nrgs recommended PSU list in his sig...400W for a C2D is very low...however i do not believe that would be causing the problem you are experiencing...

I went out and picked up a 550w psu and I still have the same message. I also stripped out all power attachments as to see if the monitor would show the bios setup and the same message appears. I believe i have narrowed it down to the video card b/c even with the pc powered down when i attach the db-15 to the card the monitor cuts out and the green led starts blinking. The mobo doesn't have an intergrated video connection so i haven't been able to test a known good and i don't have a spare around. Thanks for the tips.

Edited by Swampfox

I would talk to some of your friends and see if they have a spare video card that they could loan to you...or ask if they can put your vid card in their computer to see if it works for them

...or if you have an older pc that would accept the video card, try it in that machine :)

good luck ;)

Update: i tested the video card out in another machine and it does work. I've also test a standard pci card in my pc and the monitor shows the same message. Now i'm beginning to think the mobo is the culprit.