Upgrading my laptop Processor

so can i like just buy any processor thats a socket 939? or what?

like the new AMD 64 4800 X2 Dual Processor?

(btw RAM... i have 512 can i put a stick of like 1024 or maybe even 2048 or something? only have one slot)

Edited by snakieee

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cpu-z doesn't always know mobile chips. for example an athlon 64 4000+ mobile is seen as an athlon xp mobile by cpu-z.

give us the brand and model of the laptop and we can confirm it that way.

haha wow people aren't reading today :P

take the processor out and give us a picture. or count the pins. or read us all the numbers off the top of the IHS. there should be some writing. i don't know much about laptops and their socket types but you should def be able to upgrade.

count the pins.

if you take the processor out, does it have pins all over the bottom or is there a hole in the middle where there are no pins?

i'd be looking for a blank square part... not counting hundreds of tiny pins rofl

or put up your SN. I can look it up that way in the HP auth repair site and see what shipped in it... which I just found out. in the event of a bad processor I could do it that way. but that's not what we really want to do.

it would also give me the exact motherboard listing, allowing me to tell you EXACTLY what CPU's are compatible with the hardware / bios.