News: One-terabyte Drives Coming Soon

sdy284

TechWeb Article

OCC News Post

The latest milestone in consumer hard drive capacity -- 1 terabytes of storage " has been achieved by both Hitachi Global Storage Technologies and Seagate Technology, which unveiled their latest products in advance of next week's Consumer Electronics Show. Both firms said the drives should be on the market this spring. While 1 Tbyte of storage seems more than anybody could possible fill, it should appeal to millions of TV viewers, according to a report released Thursday by CBS Research, which studied consumer attitudes towards digital media. The report revealed that new breakthroughs and developments in digital media are spurring increased viewing of TV and video. In turn, the increased viewing will result in more storage of video and that will boost the need for more hard disk storage, or so the argument goes.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

ever worked with uncompressed video?

1920 x 1080, 24 bit, 25 frames/sec = 148MB/s

even compressed HD video takes up a LOAD of space...

qft

:withstupid:

The manufacturer's will sell these things like hotcakes to "power users" who need the space

I have dual 160 gig drives in RAID-0 and a 80GB external, the external is filled with all my stufffor backup, around 70GB full, the 300GB RAID partition is 240GB free... So I am all good with space for the time being :)

I see your point nrg, but it sounds a little outta my world to be using more than the space I have...

I have dual 160 gig drives in RAID-0 and a 80GB external, the external is filled with all my stufffor backup, around 70GB full, the 300GB RAID partition is 240GB free... So I am all good with space for the time being :)

I see your point nrg, but it sounds a little outta my world to be using more than the space I have...

gasp...is it odd to think that other users may have more of a need for space than you?

you shouldn't generalize & say nobody needs these drives just because you don't need them ;)

Edited by sdy284

i don't even process uncompressed video half-seriously, and that's not all what's on my harddrives, i've got 1020GB on my main rig and i've had to burn some stuff to dvd to make space just recently... when you consider harddrives use roughly the same amount of power regardless of capacity, 2x1TB could make more sense than 8x250GB purely for power reasons, nevermind the need for a card controller

when you consider harddrives use roughly the same amount of power regardless of capacity, 2x1TB could make more sense than 8x250GB purely for power reasons, nevermind the need for a card controller

:bah:

that was going to be my next point...but you beat me to it!

when you consider harddrives use roughly the same amount of power regardless of capacity, 2x1TB could make more sense than 8x250GB purely for power reasons, nevermind the need for a card controller

And even at the "bleeding edge" price of $400 per TB drive, it's still very competitive. 8x250GB at average prices is over $600 in disks, and by the time you figure in an 8-way controller card, it's probably pretty close to a wash. When the prices stabilize on the TB drives, it'll be even better. On top of nrg's power consumption argument, you've also got cabling nightmares of 8 drives versus 2, and the need to get a monster case just to host 8 drives.

Now for me personally, this doesn't do that much good. I've got well over a TB at home, but a lot of it is "backup" data. I like to keep a live copy of my data on another computer. So for me, I need a TB or more, but in smaller chunks for redundancy :)

seriously, who needs these drives, except servers?

i have 3 300gb hdd's, 1 of them has 20gb free, the other has 40gb free and the last one has somewhere around 50 free...... im running out of space. i could use a 1 terrabyte drive.

Loads of stuff goes onto DVD for me, because I don't have the space to keep it hanging around on my HDDs for too long.

If I could keep everything I had available for access that would be great.

Money comes into it, but if I could afford it I'd already have much more space than I do currently.