Building My First Rig, Need Help.

jminnich500

For a case... Xoxide X-Ventilator maybe? It seems to have great front intake (throw a 120mm in there), and a two 80mms on the back for intake and output.

Wow, that's actually a pretty good case for only $32! Now, I don't really go for the whole eye-searing blue thing, but still... $32! :rolleyes:

EDIT:

Why will the DFI make him cry?

Come on, seriously. I think the DFI would make half of OCC cry. :lol:

EDIT 2: And I don't know where watercooling was mentioned, but I definitely wouldn't suggest it for a first build.

Edited by Bleeble

all this talk of DFI making people cry is stupid. Just buy one of their Infinity boards & non-generic memory and you'll be fine.

Its very stupid..

Go with whatever you want Asus or DFI

Also DFI's arn't the BEST boards.. If you actually look up all the BEST and TOP OCs they're all done on ASUS or DFI boards. DFI is one of the best but not THE best.

DFI's arn't harder to setup than any other MB.. Its just they give more options to mess with stuff which means more room to mess stuff up.

Here's what I'd build for a general gaming rig on a $1000ish budget:

AMD 4000+ Skt939 Retail ($140)

DFI nf4 SLI Infinity Skt939 Mainboard ($90)

G.Skill 2x1Gb DDR400 NS 2.5-3-3-6 ($215)

eVGA 7900GT PCI-E 500mhz/1500mhz Retail ($226)

Seagate Barracuda 3GB/s SATA 7200RPM 16MB Cache 250GB Hard Disk ($80)

Tagan 480W ATX v2.0 SLI/CF PSU ($91)

ThermalTake Big Typhoon Heatpipe 120mm CPU Cooler ($40)

Aspire X-Dreamer ATX Case ($50)

Total: ~$937

Comments:

--Anyone who says you should fear DFI is exagerating, and has probably never owned one. My SLI-DR booted up first try with absolutely NO tweaking at all. DFI does have lots of BIOS options, but that's no reason to fear them.

--If you want to do minor OCing, then stick with this. If you want to go major OC, then the 3700+ will probably end up in the same spot as the 4000+, so save the $40 there and put it toward better ram.

--The case is kinda up to you. I have that case and I really like it. For a $50 case, I'm VERY impressed with it. Just make sure to get rid of the lame alien grills. And also, the throw the power supply away as soon as you open the box.

--CPU Cooler: The Big Typhoon is a great cooler. If you'd rather go with something like a Thermalright, you'll pay a bit more, plus you'll need to buy a fan. You might also consider a Zalman. The CNPS7700-CU would do nicely in the same price range.

--Hard Drives: There's no need to get two hard drives for different files. If you're really concerned with separating them (though I don't know why you would be), you can partition the drive.