Building My First Rig, Need Help.

jminnich500

Hey guys im new too the computer building scene, I've helped my freind put some together but i want to make my own and I need your help on what to get. I want to spend 1000 or less on it and I'm going to be using it for gaming (Asherons' Call,BF2,and other misc. games...I have a question, would I be able to buy two hardrives and save all the game files onto one so that the other one can be used for schoolwork and whatnot?) So back to the original question, What should I look for to buy and approximate prices and total price. I've looked at newegg and frozencpu but I dont know what is compatible with what so you get the point. thanks in advance for replys as I might not be back on for awhile.

<3 john

(I know it says muilding, I dont know how to edit titles.)

Edited by jminnich500

Assuming you won't be doing any OCing... here's a decent rig for gaming based on my outdated knowledge.

Gigabyte GA-K8N-SLI S939 Motherboard

AMD 64 3700+ San Diego <--- Could up to an FX-55 if you wanted, possibly an X2 if the board will support it.

G.SKILL Value RAM 2x 1 GB sticks

XFX GeForce 7900GS

Enermax Liberty 500w DO NOT QUOTE ME ON THAT, I KNOW LITTLE ABOUT PSUS!

That'll get you started... hard drive's are relatively cheap, so a couple of 250 gigs maybe.

That comes out to around $700 + shipping. That'll leave about $250 for hard drives and a case.

Stay away from Gigabyte motherboards, I just got 5 of them in a row with problems, IDE channel, DOA, fubared bios, unstable, and what not.

*sigh* I don't suppose you want to tell us what model(s) you've had issues with.... probably not the one that KB mentioned. I was under the impression that Gigabyte's more recent 939 boards were good.

Anyways, I agree with KB's suggestions except for one thing: the PSU. Now, don't get me wrong, the 500W Liberty is a very good PSU. But I recently saw OCZ's GameXStream 600W for $112 at ZipZoomFly, before a $15 mail-in rebate. :)

The setup looks nice, everything should work well, but if it were me doing a new setup for gaming and ocing, I would go with a board made from either MSI (Ever since I got my first one, thats what I have stuck with), DFI (good for oc from what I have heard), or a ASUS (heard good things bout them too).

The only other thing that I would change is the vid card, I prefer the ATI cards because I have never ran into a problem with them, except for recently when I forgot to update drivers.

That aside, HDD

2 of these

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16822144309

69.99 and 5.94 shiping

and with the case, i would not start off with water cooling, which may be something you want to get into later but start with air...

I shop here for cases...

http://www.xoxide.com/pccases.html

Don't go DFI for your first system, it'll make you cry. An MSI or Asus will do you fine.

And like I said, I know little about PSUs, so that OCZ one that was posted will probably do you better.

For a case... Xoxide X-Ventilator maybe? It seems to have great front intake (throw a 120mm in there), and a two 80mms on the back for intake and output.

Now because we've got a tad bit of money left... nab a Saitek Executive or Eclipse keyboard. They're amazing, I've had mine for over a year now and it's serving me great. No problems so far.

I was going to let him decide which case he would like and have him post it, because the case should be all up to your personal opinion, you have to like it to get it, unless the price is just amazing. :)

Im thinking about going DFI for my next upgrade, but of course this will not be my first build, so agreed.

Why will the DFI make him cry?