Upgrading Friend's Computer

Kamikaze_Badger

Well a buddy of mine wants an upgrade. He'll be keeping his drives and such, but after talking to him today with a $450 budget, I managed to pull up the following for him. He wants it for light image and video work, and lots of other general work, but wants it fast.

MSI K8N Neo4-F S939 Motherboard

FSP Group 300w PSU w/ Dual +12v Rails

2x WinTec AMPO 1 GB DDR400 sticks

AMD Athlon 64 FX-55.

This won't be used for overclocking, and is a low budget upgrade. Total comes up to about $438 USD. Opinions?

Well, that's only $360. You know his uses better than I do, but I think you'd be better of with a 3700+ ($93) and a $200 PCI-E video card.

Edited by Bleeble

If he's not gaming, wouldn't an X2 be better? It seems to me that image/vide editing and general multitasking would benefit from a dual-core. An X2 4400+ is $198 on Newegg. Of course, that could be complete overkill for what he does for all I know.

Just curious, what's he upgrading from?

ESPECIALLY considerign he wont be overclocking I would say grab some ram with tight timings. It DOES make a difference especially at the lower speeds. Maybe something like Patriot 2GB (2 x 1GB) 2-3-2-5? Actually, while the "Kits" of ram WERE about $30 cheaper for the last year, doesnt seem to be the case now. Same specs single stick.

As for FX vs X2, it depands on how much video work he does. If you do enough the advantags are worth it, if not a 4000+ is considerably less money and it's not like he'll ever really notice 200mhz, not that you couldnt do a light OC with it anyway with any decent board (decent as in stable and not a POS).

Good luck with the build.