How Do I Overclock?

I hate how easy that is for everyone else. It makes me wonder if you can unlock some BIOS's? Because me and a friend and all my work computers have locked settings. There is no simply going in and changing the craped settings in BIOS.

thats the exact reason why i do not buy premanufactured computers...

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the A7N8X automatically unlocks your CPU

I could be wrong, but I HIGHLY doubt this is true!! You may have access to the multiplier settings, but it doesn't do a thing until you unlock your CPU..

(and if anyone asks, "How do I do that?" without searching first! I WILL slap them!! :blink: )

Curtis

no it doesn't just give you access to the multiplier i have an MSI KT3Ultra 2 with an XP 2400+ and that gives you only access to the multiplier setting. The A7N8X is supposed to unlock it for you someone on the forums said a friend had one and it unlocked it but i haven't got the watercooling setup for the comp in my sig so it is not up and running quite yet but almost! :smack:

I could be wrong, but I HIGHLY doubt this is true!! You may have access to the multiplier settings, but it doesn't do a thing until you unlock your CPU..

well i have changed the multiplier on my cpu and it works just perfectly for me(no unlocking nessecary), so i am with mxrider on this one. i think it does it automatically unlock it.

well bad news my mom is not going to let me make a computer for myself so i am going to have to buy a pre mad so im edgeing twards dell......

any opinions or pitty for me?

:( I HAVE TO GET A DELL! :angry:

well i have changed the multiplier on my cpu and it works just perfectly for me(no unlocking nessecary), so i am with mxrider on this one. i think it does it automatically unlock it.

Hey,

i also have an asus a7n8x deluxe motherboard and xp2400+

my previous atempts to change the multiplier 3 weeks ago always fail and ended up telling me that it couldn't boot up do to cpu overclocking. since then i have done the wire trick to unlock the multiples from 12.5x and lower, but so far each of the lower multiples work until i reach 11.5x. At one point i changed a setting in the bios that lets you choose if the system should halt on:

all errors/all except keyboard/all except disk/all except keyboard and disk/no errors

when i choose for it to not halt on any errors i would boot into windows and use WCPUID v3.1a and find that the multiplier was not changed successfully. I found that the only times it successful changed the multiplier was when it made it through post and didn't make an audible warning "system failed do to cpu overclocking".

i definately could see all the multplier settings and could make it into windows xp.. but that doesn't always mean that my new multiplier setting was successful.

From my experience a7n8x does not unlock your cpu. when i first started learning what everything was i thought the proccessor was unlocked because it was my first time having ever seen the multiplier settings availible to me. also i thought that since i was able to increase the fsb, that the cpu must be unlocked. i've learned a good deal since then, but i guess i'm still considered somewhat of a newbie. This is not to say that yours isn't unlocked, it very well could be. there is a motherboard by Epox that can do this and an impressive one by Iwill that i have read a reviews on.

there are other factors that still have to be considered that may have an influence why i got my results and why you got yours. driver version possibly might have an influence on this that i don't know about yet. i'm using the 1001G but i know there is an official 1002 final release driver for the a7n8x board as well. could you please let me know the drivers for your motherboard you have installed, that could very well be the case. who knows.

yeah i have heard from some people that it did and didn't unlock it I think it works more often than not on the higher end processors.

well bad news my mom is not going to let me make a computer for myself so i am going to have to buy a pre mad so im edgeing twards dell......

any opinions or pitty for me?

How much money do you have to spend because you can get really good premade systems if you have a little bit of money. there are two companies that i know of that have good prices on computers and they dont use proprietary motherboards and things like that and they have a lot of good cases and they have computers for all different price ranges if you have to buy a pre built system but i don't know how reliable these places are but i found them in a computer magazine with a two page for each of them so i think they are pretty good companies and they have a lot of different Intel and AMD systems and very nice monitors and speakers!!! :smack:http://www.cyberpowerinc.com/home.htm

http://www.ibuypower.com/mall/lobby.htm

• 2 weeks later...

Wow!! i finally went back and decided to try upgrading my a7n8x bios from the 1001.G to 1002 rev final and it turns out that this new bios is what makes it so that the a7n8x automatically unlocks the TBreds!! I couldn't believe that it actually worked. Heh, no more having to redue the wire trick when i take out the processor and reinstall! For anyone that has an a7n8x and can't get there TBred unlocked automatically, download the 1002 final bios revision. This was great to find out. lata

• 3 weeks later...