Eep! Northside Is Hella Hot?

Hey, im having a big dilema here...first off, my Northside is almost to hot to touch (i can touch it, but it gets quite annoying after a couple seconds)

i didnt think it wa liek that before so i checked asus probe, it says my temps are 39 for mobo temp, soo confused :unsure:

right now im just assuming it was like thta before and i never noticed...

yes i meant northbridge(i forgot the name so i wrote first thing that came to mind, hehe)

and yes its in celsius, im using asus probe

thats why im confused, it feels way to hot for that temp, i dont have any spare 80's so im gonna slap a 60 on it...

people tend to think that a hot heatsink means your chip is hot.. not always true.. it means the heatsink is doing its job and removing the heat....

Think about what you just said...if you have a hot heatsink, and it is attached to your die, then wouldn't the die be hot as well? Whereas a warm heatsink (assuming it is seated correctly) would mean that the die is cooler as well?

The core will likely be hotter than your heatsink. Think about it, the core is where the heat comes from, unfortunately the heat transfer rate to the heatsink isnt all that great, thus the core is generally hotter, this includes the CPU. Thats what I have read and it makes perfect sense to me. You could try buying an active heatsink for your northbridge or just stick with the 60mm fan.

Ive got the same board, i just ended up replacing the NB cooler with a Swiftech MCX-159, its uber cool, even without the fan. My Mobo temps show between 24-27 or so, it usually doesnt go up much under a load, maybe one to two degrees. Im also using the same FSB as you (240) without having up the CPU voltage, that might help on my end to.

but the core isn't as hot as he probably thinks it is, since he is only touching the heatsink

472511[/snapback]

Excuse me for a moment but...lolololololololololololololol