Intel M 1.5 Ghz Compared To What?

Hi whats the comparison on the powers of the Intel M1.5 Ghz, theres a laptop i was planning on getting that has a Pentium M 715 - 1.5GHz proccesor in it. I was woundering what it compares too. Because there is also AMD Mobile processors i might take into consideration.

The only bad thing i don't like about AMD laptops is that most of them carry Nvidia graphic cards, while iam kind of a ATI fan.. But if the Pentium M 1.5Ghz totaly sucks... i might just go with the athlon.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whats the comparison? because even the Athlon XP Mobile chips will go up to 3000+.

my problem is. i can get an Intel Pentium 1.5 M with a Radeon 9700, while i can get a Athlon 64 bit 3200+ with a Geforce 4 420 TOGO (for the price of 200 more bux)

I sorta rather have a Radeon 9700... but i don't know how well the Pentium 1.5 Mobile is compared with the athlons. if its alot worst then the athlon 64s, i might choose athlon. Because iam a big athlon fan... but I am also a big Radeon Fan....

nvidia makes good chips so i wouldnt rly wory about what kind of vidio card u get. it be ati or nvidia. and M a64 would proly beat a intel m 1.5 ghz because most laptops that iv seen that come with a 64's come with M 3400+ or higher.

are you sure? the Geforce 4 420 is compared to a Geforce 2 isn't it?

and the Radeon 9700 is compared to a radeon 9600 or 9800, is it not?

i might be getting out of date sense i been to college..... but i always thought the Geforce 4 420's isn't even in the same League as Radeon 9700's

Unless the Radeon 9700 is some cheap build like the Geforce 4 420's and i don't know about it.

yeah.. 9700 is gonna be ALOT better than a mx 420... those things are peices of crap! I used to use one... and they are nothing compared to a 9700. As far as athlon 64 being better than Pentium M, i'd so yeah, although if you want good graphics quality, it's still going to be better on the machine with the 9700.

I'd go with the Pentium M. It's fast and the graphics card is awesome. If you get the A64, you will be VERY dissapointed by the graphics. I had a Dell laptop awhile back with the raedon mobility9000 in it, and my buddy had the same setup but with the GF4 420go. My system stomped all over his in gaming. So, yeah, get the Pentium M. You can always add a faster CPU in the future.

Clock for clock the pentium-M is about as fast as an Athlon 64 for gaming.

The laptop with the Radeon 9700 will utterly and completely demolish the otherone in games. It won't even be close. The mobility 9700 is equivalent to a desktop 9600pro/XT and is based on the same core as those chips. The Geforce 4 420 go is about as fast as a geforce 2 GTS, maybe slower.

The mobility 9800 is based on the x800 (r420). It has 8 pipelines and is litterlay twice as fast as the best mobility 9700 and nearly 2.5-3 tiems as fast as NVIDIAs best mobile GPU.

Edited by oralpain

Pentium M 1.5ghz is about as fast as a 2.6ghz Pentium 4 in the grand scheme of things. Rumor is tho, that a 1.6 Pentium-M with the Dothan core, stomps a 3Ghz P4 at Seti@home. And if supposedly P4's already stomps AMD Processors, then that would make a Pentium-M one hellofa processor. I imagine the Seti@home stats would be similar in Folding@home.

I just wish that the Pentium M could be used in desktops. Imagine that........the A64 would no longer rule.

okay, lets not go spreading a rumor like that.

Pentium M is NOT faster than a Pentium 4. nor is it in any way meant to be. it's supposed to be a low voltage processor which is part of the centrino system (Pentium M processor with a motherboard w/ onboard wifi). it's got speed step to slow it down to save battery life, run at lower voltages to begin with (again see first reason), run cooler to save on need for fans (see first reason again) and keep weight down. Pentium M also lacks 2 of the 3 defining characteristics of the P4. Netburst and a Quad pumped FSB are missing. Same differences that seperate the PIII from the P4. the reason for this is the Pentium M is actually a low voltage PIII with SSE... NOT a super cpu.