AMD Threadripper Specs and Prices Potentially Leaked

Guest_Jim_*

This information might be among the more anticipated for CPUs this year, especially if it is accurate. VideoCardz has revealed leaked specifications and prices for the upcoming 2nd generation AMD Ryzen Threadripper processors, including the new 24-core/48-thread and 32-core/64-thread parts and the 12-core/24-thread and 16-core/32-thread upgrades to the already available CPUs. If this information is accurate, the current top-of-the-line Threadripper 1950X (which I am a proud owner of) that launched at $999 will be replaced in core count by the 2950X at $899 while the 2990WX, the massive 32 core part will take the top spot at a price of $1799. The 2970WX and 2920X, which are the 24 core and 12 core parts respectively, will cost $1249 and $649, respectively. A closer look at those prices though and you will notice doubling the cores here is doubling the price as well. It may also be worth noting that a replacement for the 1900X, an 8-core/16-thread 'entry-level' Threadripper is not mentioned. However, its launch price of $549 is not far from that of the 2920X ($649) so the intent might be for the 2920X to serve as the 'entry level' part, for those wanting the 64 PCIe 3.0 lanes all Threadripper processors offer.

Besides prices, the leak also gives base and boost clocks, and TDP. Both the 2970WX and 2990WX have the same clocks and TDP with a 3.0 GHz base, 4.2 GHz boost, and 250 W TDP. The 2920X and 2950X share the same 3.5 GHz base clock and 180 W (the same as the 1950X) but while the 2920X has a boost clock of 4.3 GHz, the 2950X will boost a bit faster to 4.4 GHz.

Until we know how well these parts may overclock, especially in existing motherboards, these CPUs at these specifications and prices could represent a healthy upgrade for some users. It has been stated that current X399 motherboards should support the new Threadripper CPUs following a BIOS update at stock settings. Increasing the power draw with overclocking might push some boards past their limits. Personally, I am still happy with my 1950X, but that $899 MSRP for the direct upgrade is definitely interesting.

Source: VideoCardz

Back to original news post