Could use some ideas getting an old game running

whitefiretiger

So while cleaning I found my old copy of Elder Scrolls Morrowind and decided to install it but for the life of me I cant get it running on windows 7. I've managed to install & play Diablo & Diablo II with tho good old install to c:/game and little comparability settings but all I'm getting at best when i try to play it is the screen going black and then acting as if I never opened it.

Any help would be great

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

I have had the game since 2012 and have run on both Win7 and now Win10

Just a guess - it sounds like the game is expecting a different screen resolution

and your screen is not responding as the game expects.

You might try Ctrl+Esc or Ctrl+Alt+Esc to see if it allows you to change the res.

Also, the original screen is 800X600 so if you still have a problem, you might change

your screen res and try restarting.

Edited by AkakmanH

i have tried and tried again to get crysis running but no joy,...i just caint make it work on the newer OS's ... my steam version, same thing...sucks

https://openmw.org/en/

Thank me later. :)

Going to give this a try when home.

• Like 1

So while cleaning I found my old copy of Elder Scrolls Morrowind and decided to install it but for the life of me I cant get it running on windows 7. I've managed to install & play Diablo & Diablo II with tho good old install to c:/game and little comparability settings but all I'm getting at best when i try to play it is the screen going black and then acting as if I never opened it.

Any help would be great

Ots acting like its not opened? Does it show running in the task manager? You will have to kill it before relaunching. Also, experiment with windowed vs full screen. My money is on full screen. You can set your max resolution here, I think. Good luck.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Any help would be great

Ots acting like its not opened? Does it show running in the task manager? You will have to kill it before relaunching. Also, experiment with windowed vs full screen. My money is on full screen. You can set your max resolution here, I think. Good luck.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I did not check task manager. The main screen opens to let me select to play or change settings. No mater how ive tried to set the settings from that or comparability mode the best case when I've clicked play is the screen going black like its launching the game then it just goes back to the desktop.

I had the same problems with older games not opening on newer os's and it was a simple fix of installing all the older versions of visual c ,so now when installing games I always install whatever version of visual c it recommends. Sometimes the game dose not want to work with newer versions.

I had the same problems with older games not opening on newer os's and it was a simple fix of installing all the older versions of visual c ,so now when installing games I always install whatever version of visual c it recommends. Sometimes the game dose not want to work with newer versions.

I'm not sure what version I would need for Morrowind. I know it says directX 8.1 but can't seem to find the C++ version for vanilla copy of the game.