8700K Overclocking and Water AIO Help Needed.

craigsnepa

I just got my 8700K in the mail today from newegg after being backordered. I also got an asrock extreme 4 motherboard and some g.skill 14cl 16gb 3200 ram. I have a question about cooling. I have a new in box h60 corsair laying around, but also ordered an evga 240 aio at the same time as the motherboard. So... I now have 2 aio's lol. I dont plan on going full bore OC with this chip, as I dont care about super insane clocks especially since i will be using this for professional work and gaming on weekends. I need stability before epeen high oc rates. I cant decide which cooler will fit my needs better? I only realistically plan to OC to maybe 4.6-4.7 for 24/7 use. Is it worth having the extra $110 240mm aio in there for mild OC? Or should I just use the H60 and call it a day??

I've been trying to look this up without success. Corsair use to list the TDP on its website. Old posts I can find say the H60 is rated for 65Watts in 2012. I'm sure the revisions since than has raised that number to like 90 or 120.

But my point is at stock either is going to be okay, but I think even with a small OC, than 8700K is going to hit upwards of 120watts. Maybe more if you pump more voltage into it. I'm not sure that H60 can handle it.

Once again I cannot find the real TDP ratings anymore, so I am unsure.

thanks guys! I decided to actually go with the Noctua NHU-14S. I got one brand new at a local pc store going out of business for $14.99. I returned the $109.99 evga unit and will put that extra $100 towards a better monitor. As I am using a Qnix 27" 1440P. I want to move to 4k for productivity, not so much for gaming.

You will be limited as far as all core overclocks go with the air cooler. As good a cooler as the NH-U14S is you will need a second fan and to really see what your chip can do on an all core overclock at the stock voltages. 

My NH-U14S keeps my 6800k OC'd to 4.1ghz 1.25v with 3000mhz memory and 3.4ghz cache under 70c during stress testing.  Although I think these chips are soldered and the 8700k is not... Still, the X99's have a higher TDP at stock so my overclock should still give you some confidence in that air cooler - Especially at $15!  What a steal.