Got a new monitor, confused about stuff...

Assassin X

So while I am a PC geek, I never really got deep into monitors. Always bought cheap ones. With my new rig I finally decided to get a quality monitor (well that I could afford). Before my question here is my monitor:
https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Gaming-S2716DG-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B0149QBOF0

So my question(s) are:
1. Does it matter what my refresh rate is at? My old monitor only let me do 60hz, this one goes up to 144hz. 
2. What is response time? I have it set to Fast, its normally on Normal.
3. Is Nvidia G-Sync anything useful?
4. It says it has a 1ms response time, do I have to change something to get it to that? Or is that what that is on my second question?
5. Lastly I was told to not use HDMI but instead use a DisplayPort. I had never heard of that before. I'm using it now, is it useful?

Thanks for any answers! I use my PC for mainly gaming if that makes a difference. 

Good list of questions, I'll see what I can answer.

1: Refresh rate can matter to some. Basically its like the name states, the amount of times the images refreshes per second. So 60Hz is 16.6ms per frame and 144hz is. 6.9ms. If you play FPS this can give you the edge if your reaction time is good. Also higher Hz with high frame rate can result in a smooth image.

2: "Response time is a measure of quickly a pixel can display a change from either black to white or from one shade of gray to another. Lower response times are better. Normal response time right now is 1ms for TN panels and 4ms for IPS panels. A term that is often misunderstood by people is monitor response time." - This is not the same as refresh rate.

3: G-Sync is useful if you are using a Nvidia card and sustain above 30FPS, otherwise it doesn't work. Basically its like a fluid V-Sync. You don't get screen tearing which helps if this is something that is annoying.

4: It refers to your second question. Its just how the monitor works and refers to the pixels refresh.

5: A lot of companies switched to Display Port because its royalty free and offers higher bandwidth compared to HDMI 1.4. Now that HDMI 2.0 is out the point is mute because it can handle the same bandwidth as DP. But because of a few years of monitors already using DP, it is here to stay and HDMI is just playing catch-up. Not to mention royalty free.

Another couple notes specific to THAT monitor is the panel's pretty terrible for color accuracy so you may want to look into settings others have used to minimized the washed out color of this monitor (Even for a TN panel it's bad, the ASUS PB287Q mine's setup beside is worlds better for anything I want to see somewhat color accurate and yes it is a TN panel too)

The other thing is if you end up leaving the room and occasionally coming back to the monitor being "off" (deep sleep mode) and not waking up without needing to turn it off and on again with the power button, just go into the monitor's menu and disable "Monitor Deep Sleep" under "Others." Drove me nuts for the first few days.

Also make sure you actually set the resolution and refresh rate manually with windows and specific games as many either get the refresh rate wrong or even some like the COD WWII Beta thought it was a 1080p display.

Thanks for all the answers! Helped alot! So when it comes to response time then I want it to Normal, not Faster then? Or if I understand right your saying mine is already 1ms? Ah ok about the HDMI thing. I think I have a 2.0 cord. Though the guy tried telling me to not use HDMI because of something about the silver amount in it and when inserting/removing it, it can ruin the cord and your monitor. Not sure if its true or not. Normally I always use HDMI. Maybe I should go back to the HDMI then instead of the Display Port. That and it cost me like $30 for the DP, I could use the money back. 

Yeah I did notice after I bought it and did more research that people said they had to fine tune it since the color seemed off and washed out. I messed with the settings and have my brightness at 59% and contrast and 69%. But there is no real color option. On the Nvidia settings through for my card I seen it has under its setting "Choose how the color is set" and you can mess with all channels or individual. And with gamma and what not. It also has something about "Digital Vibrance" which can be enhanced. 

So I'm not really sure what to mess with color wise. I do photography and art projects for people do I don't want to mess colors up so much that they appear different on other computers or when printed. I did see when you mess with this stuff it does have refrence images, but I can't tell whats good or bad after I adjust stuff. 

never heard about the HDMI sliver thing but maybe its true? Also make sure your monitor with G-Sync supports G-Sync over HDMI. Some monitors had both ports but only the DP was hooked up the internal G-Sync Board. Easy way to check is if you still have the option for G-Sync in the Nvidia control panel when using HDMI. You have have a HDMI 2.0 cable, but the monitor port might be HDMI 1.4.

The HDMI port on your panel is 1.4 and does not support G-SYNC,..

For 2560 X 1440 @ 144Hz and indeed G-SYNC functionality requires the use of the DisplayPort 1.2a input. 

Optimal OSD settings :  

Brightness= 43

Response Time= Normal

Preset Mode= Custom Color

R= 100

G=98

B=98

Refresh rate= 144Hz

Set the monitor up according to the Optimal OSD settings,.. Download the ICC profile. https://pcmonitors.info/icc/Dell%20S2716DG.icm

This article provides instructions on activating the profile as well as some limitations to be aware of when gaming in particular. Games do generally respond to the profile or at least apply the gamma correction. https://pcmonitors.info/articles/using-icc-profiles-in-windows

Yeah after trying the HDMI cord the G-Sync wasn't available and the refresh rate would only go up to 60hz. I'm back with the display port now.  

Thanks for the links. I checked out the links but the one download for the ICC profile I couldn't find a link to it on that page. 

Are there any guides on messing with the colors of a monitor that uses DPs? I see white for example in this typing box but I also feel like I am seeing a bit of red almost or maybe brown, more so if I'm, not facing the exact center of the screen. I did try the calibration thing on the color management and for example the gamma part of it I can't get the screen to look like the middle option it tells you. 

Edited by Assassin X

The default setup of this panel is a bit restrictive for normal uses, as the gamma is set up more for gaming, and hard to adjust without a calibration tool (or a calibrated ICC profile).

ICC Profile database : http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm

Edited by Braegnok

Well today I went to exchange the cord due to it having a defect (random black flashes) But I didn't make it the store in time. When I got back I plugged the DP cortd back in, turned the screen on but it went into power saver mode. It wouldn't show my desktop. I unplugged the monitor and plugged it back in. Still nothing. Tried different DP slots and even my HDMI slots and nothing would show on screen aside from the power saved thing. I had to force shut down my computer using the power button then turn it back on. Then the screen worked. 

Any ideas why this would do that? Is it because I unplugged the DP cord while the screen was off (not literally unplugged though)? Or was it just some fluke? BTW I do have the deep sleep mode turned off on the screen. Only other thing I can think of is the I have the "Turn off after one hour" mode turned on under power settings. Could that be what screwed it up?

The turn off after 1 hr is exactly what screwed it up, it wasn't the monitor's fault it was the pc, sometimes windows and your video card don't dance well together and will not send a video signal until you reboot your pc. It has happened to me a few times when I leave the pc on all day with no action happening on the screen.

Ah ok, never knew that. I'd say maybe turn off the option to turn the screen off after 1 hour but I'm not sure if I will get a burnt image in the screen after awhile. Though if I recall that doesn't happen with LEDs right?

Seemed to have worked. Only issue left is when I have the response time set to fast, I see alot of white ghosting type things when I move in a game. If I set it to normal there is almost no ghosting. Seems like it defeats the point of response time. 

Only real fix is to set the MHZ to 120 and response time to normal. Then there is no ghosting. (sigh)

Edited by Assassin X