Forget an used graphic card

Pile

Currently, the market is invaded by used graphics cards... Essentially... from digital mining... or from some poor miner.

Dont' buy these cards.

A real and good player don't play full time 24/24... Imagine an overclocked graphics card that work 24 hours a day... 

It's a bad time for the Bitcoin or others digital money... Many miner want to resell...

Be careful

If you are a real  player, Save and pay for new.

Bye ;-)

Pile

While you should definitely do your research and only buy from a trusted source, I don't know that I agree with you about not buying a card because it was mined on. (What about a card that was used for folding 24/7?)

Now, I wouldn't go out and pay $350 for a usedRX 480, which some feel like they can charge for a used card. But..,, good deals still exist. I recently saw a GTX 1070 for $300.., but wasn't lucky enough to be the guy to purchase it lol. I also just got a decent deal on another RX 470 for $180 (Which isn't much more then I was paying for them in the spring before the price hike).

I also personally own cards that have been mined on 24/7 for years, and still work fine (I've even got a 6950 that was used to mine bitcoin back when you could still do that on GPU, and I still play games on it lols). I've heard of people having to replace the fans before.., but honestly, that's both cheap and easy to do. As long as it seems like the person had a decent understanding of what they were doing, I'd buy a card that was mined.., Especially if it is a good price.

Also, as IR said, this applies mostly to the AMD cards (290x, 470, 480, 570, 580, and even Vega) and the mid-high end Nvidia cards (1060, 1070, 1080, and 1080ti.., yes, the 1080 cards are also used for mining). Unfortunately, that doesn't leave you with a whole lot to choose from.

I guess it depends on what you mine because some of those hash don't use more than 50% power. I say unless its still under warranty or known what it was mining, don't buy it. While folding is a form of mining people can vouch that you can go years folding 24/7 and still have a good card. folding isn't very stressful on GPUs. I would bet that 90% of mining cards failure is due to a dead fan (which usually can't be replaced without sending it in) PCB/GPU is still good, but unusable without a fix. The other 9% is VRM failure from unusually high load 24/7 which is mostly on the longer end cards that are meant for stock settings only. The last 1% is the generic GPU failure which is rare because generally everything else will fail before the silicon goes out (if left at stock settings).

When Bitcoin mining was a thing still in 2013 I was reading forums of people sending in 10-15 cards that had a mixture of dead fans and or failed VRMs. These were brands like VisonTek which use(d) the basic PCB and was the cheapest card to buy for mining. Not saying they are a bad brand, but differently run out of designed specs.

My advice for buying used cards is to stick with the latest generation,.. and only buy used if the price is right. Individual definitions will vary, but for me that would mean around 25% off MSRP. Anything more expensive than that and I'd rather take less risk and just buy a new card.

Right now your not going to see current gen used cards get down to prices like that any time soon. Because even though mining is a lot less profitable now than it was in May and June, it's still doing okay. RX 480/580 8GB can still net around $1.50-$1.80 per day. Miners will still likely pay up to $350 for that level of income, sometimes even more. That's why graphics card prices are still higher than MSRP, and no miner is going to sell a card for a song if it's still working properly and earning $1.50 per day. 

Less than $5 a day seems completely backwards to me. It was a deal when a RX 480 was $250 and you made $9 a day. Now it takes a year to get ROI. If I was strictly mining I would sell off my cards for a nice profit.

+1,.. it's crazy. 

I bought my Asus Founders Edition cards NIB a few months ago for $699 at Newegg,.. and today they are selling Zotac FE cards for $2000.  :wacko:   https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007709%20601295933

Edited by Braegnok