Old Build New Vid Card

P.TRIV

Hi Guys this forum helped me build my rig back in 2009 and it's been great but now I believe the Vid Card is shot.

My question is will I have a problem putting a new card onto my old board with no problems? New Egg suggested this card

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487295&cm_re=GTX_1050-_-14-487-295-_-Product

But their Teck support suggested that i contact the motherboard manufacturer to see if I needed a bios update or if there were any other problems

but I thought I'd try here first because I trust you guys to give me a better answer.

Edited by P.TRIV

Umm I heard of some of the cards from the last generation not liking to work in non UFI BIOS. Maybe it was a early run bug because I never came across it. I have a 1080Ti in a Z68 chipset which for sure doesn't support UFI at all. I would update your BIOS, just in case it has some issues with newer cards.

If you want to say money you could buy a used GTX 285 https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR11.TRC1.A0.H0.Xgtx+285.TRS0&_nkw=gtx+285&_sacat=0I picked one up for $25 a few months ago for a work computer.

Thanks Am a Cow  I hadn't thought about used on eBay so I picked the 285 up for 37.00 close to half that was shipping.

Total Nerd & Lab Rat thanks for the response, the board should not be an issue now.  Doing this will allow me to pick up

new parts on sale for a rebuild down the road......I'm thinking it's about time

A 285 will be significantly slower than a 1050 and consume 3249082932842 times more power.

If you update to the latest BIOS you'll also be able to buy a 6 core Xeon X5650 that will most likely have no problems overclocking to 4ghz.  They are only a little over $20 off of Ebay right now.

If you really want to extend the life of that system I would go that route and also pick up some more memory.  4gb Samsung sticks like these run $20 a piece and can overclock really well;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4GB-Samsung-M378B5173CB0-CK0-PC3-12800U-DDR3-1RX8-Non-ECC-Computer-Memory-RAM-/172835006050?hash=item283dc4e662:g:YXIAAOSwwG9Zm5w9

You could also snipe some more 2gb sticks for dirt cheap and get 12gb total running in your system.

Edited by xenkw0n

No excuses guys but it has been awhile since I'd done any building....I should have given the thread a bit more time for others to post in.  But it's up and running and looks just a tad better.

xenkw0n  Thank you for the info, I've forgotten so much....& feel a bit stupid admitting that I had no idea that they were still making chips for the 1366 socket. I remember looking for a new board wanting USB3 and didn't see any.  You bring up another point about the memory.  Can I add any old DDR3 memory to my existing ? here is a link to what I put in 9-10 years ago

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226050    I would like to get more memory. Thanks again guys

They haven't produced any 1366 socket CPU's since 2012.  What I'm referencing is buying a used Xeon off of Ebay.  The X5650 is the cheapest of the X56xx series of Xeon CPU's that you can get for your system.  They overclock extremely well and run a lot cooler than the 45nm CPU's (i7 920, 930, 940, 950 960).  For 20$ you get a CPU with 2 more cores, 4 more threads, more cache, higher stock QPI frequency, better temps, better IPC, and higher OC potential.

USB 3.0 is whatever, you could just as easily get a PCIe card for USB 3.0 ports.

Those memory sticks are probably dual rank when taking their age into consideration but so are pretty much any 3x2GB kits you would find on ebay and yes, they'll all work together.  The ones you have though have extremely tight timings so if you plan on using XMP and don't have sticks that can match those timings at 1600mhz then you'll have to manually adjust the timings to something the slowest memory in your system can run at.  It might just be easier to pick up 3x4gb sticks like the ones I linked to and sell yours.  Will put less strain on the IMC using 3 sticks instead of 6, both ways get you to 12GB.

Aside from that... You'll still want a better graphics card than a 285 to use for today.  I have one in storage at this point, can't really think of a use for it but I put a massive aftermarket cooler on it so I'm keeping it around.

I was just referring that you can get cheap cards on eBay. the 285 is faster than that dead 275 and why spend money on a old system? I've found GTX 570 for $50 but still once again, why spend money on a old system. $25-50 gets the computer going again. I don't see the point in spending $150 on a new video card for a computer than is nearing 9 years old.

Because it's still viable, and any card you get for this one could easily just be moved into a new system if he plans on upgrading again.  I was just giving cheap options he can do to speed up his current system.  X58 still has better IPC than the AMD FX processors and overclocks better, so it's definitely still viable, regardless of it's age.

I bought myself a GTX 970 from a GTX 285 specifically for use within an X58 system and when I upgraded to X99 I just brought the GTX 970 with me and currently use that.  Waiting for next gen graphics cards since the 970 is just fine for my needs.

Either way, GPU's are the one thing that can always be moved over from an old to a new system, so why not get something nice and prolong the life out of X58 until the dust settles between this war with Intel and AMD which is when everyone will benefit!

Because it's still viable, and any card you get for this one could easily just be moved into a new system if he plans on upgrading again. 

This.  You could throw a 1080Ti in there and it'd work wonderfully in it as well as the next rig.  Buying old GPUs is almost always throwing money away.