Vega question

This might be a bit soon, but I takes time to sell used equipment for a decent price.

I sold my rx 480 during the mining craze, and now bought a 770 for 60 eur to use in the meantime.

My monitor is a ultrawide 1080p freesync monitor, and I'm planning to upgrade to ultrawide wqhd.

Vega should be able to handle this res quite easily, but I'm concerned about the miners. Should I get a vega card as quickly as possible or wait for aftermarket cards? Time isn't really an issue, but if the prices skyrocket again...

Seeing that I'm going to upgrade my monitor anyway, I can jump to the green team. A 100hz uwqhd g-sync displqy costs 200 eur more, but might be more rewarding when volta launches. Same can be said for amd, as they will probably try to use infinity fabric on their gpu's.

Main concerns are Heat/Noise, overall cost and power draw, in that order. I require it to fit in a mini itx case, and be supplied by a 560 watt psu

What are your recommendations? I'm leaning towards buying a vega 64 and upgrading the screen later when they are a bit more affordable (maybe getting a ultrawide 4k). But with miners and the simple fact that amd will only get further behind on nvidia, it may be best to invest in the surest future

?

?Edit: The site registers enter as a question marks, with pale moon as browser

Edited by Wolfrider

Considering AMD has announced bundles on the special edition cards including monitor discounts and even Ryzen/motherboard discounts and some games that MAY be a solid choice if you can budget for everything you need/want at once.

Here's what I'm talking about: http://www.anandtech.com/show/11680/radeon-rx-vega-unveiled-amd-announecs-499-rx-vega-64-399-rx-vega-56-launching-in-august/2

The biggest issue I see is the target of GTX 1080 performance with the power consumption we saw in the Frontier Edition versions cards.  They may have it a little more under control, but I would doubt from the power/heat side of things Vega's going to look very good next to the 1080 where I can order a reasonable card with Aftermarket cooler off Newegg for <$510 as of this morning.  Then again if you want the monitor and the games offered that's $100+ extra value right now (not to mention savings over most G-Sync displays).

As for blower vs aftermarket, 99% of the time I would rather have an aftermarket card, but a blower style card in an ITX case is USUALLY better for your management.  I know I'm fighting that idea with my HTPC atm as the blower card I bought for it has a VERY annoying (though not loud) fan and has been sent to mining duty in the basement and I can't decide on antoher blower style card or something like Gigabyte's tiny 1070 ITX card

Honestly without final performance/power draw numbers for the cards I'm just making educated guesses based on what we've seen in the past so it's going to be hard to decide at this point. Sadly with GPU launch history you may need to be ready to press buy the second they go live if you really want one now so if you can wait until round two of cards and real reviews and performance numbers you'll likely end up making a better performance per dollar choice.

Now me, I think I might have 20 tabs open on release and try to grab one to try out mining, because you know dirty miner wants profit and all :)

True I might just buy one and don't open it, wait for benchmarks and then decide what to do.

I am aware of the bundles, but the monitor deal is not available in europe, the cpu is a 1700x whereas I can overclock a 1700 to the same performance for 100 less, the motherboards are all atx. So the

bundle is of no interest to me whatsoever, and even if I could get the monitor deal there are problems with freesync (ironic isn't it)

The 770 with blower is dead silent compared to my former gigabyte rx480, that thing sounded like a plane taking off. Might be a problem with the card itself though

And performance wise both the 1080 and vega64 should be able to do ultrawide wqhd, as it is almost half the pixels of 4k. I'm more concerned with consistent framerates, and amd has been making a point about minimum framerates...
Although nothing is confirmed, and amd has been known to publish half-truths before

Edited by Wolfrider

We have seen recent performance leaks come out since different reviewers have gotten their hands on some of the 56 and 64 cards.  The Vega 56 comes in around $400 (~GTX 1070 prices) and apparently easily beats it performance-wise.  They look to be some decent cards.  Idk about the power consumption yet but if you don't really care then yes, Vega looks to be a decently powerful set of cards.  As far as mining is concerned, It won't be as bad as it was... The difficulty in mining a log of the different currencies have all gone up and you're not going to see a lot of people continue to chase the dragon to the point where there's no Stock for months on end and prices skyrocket.

Its not the casual miners that got me concerned, but those assholes that buy up trucks full of the cards. Vega is supposed to be double as effective compared to polaris, and overall gain is 3% while taking half the space.

Depends where you live I guess.

I'm going to buy a 56 and 64, and return the one that has the least performance/value. If the prices do go up I might end up selling it on ebay

?

?

?Off-topic: My brother managed to contract a mining virus. It was using 100 procent of gpu and a lot of internet bandwith! Lukely he was smart enough to shut down the system. The past 6 years I did not use a anti-virus program save for manually scanning with malwarebytes, but seems that responsible browsing makes quite a big difference. Never thought this was possible, the more you know I suppose

Edited by Wolfrider