AMD is back! [Naples/Epyc]

Perhaps this is old news, but damn, Naples/Epyc is looking great at first glance: http://www.anandtech.com/show/11544/intel-skylake-ep-vs-amd-epyc-7000-cpu-battle-of-the-decade(sorry for the link to Anand)

Better power efficiency than Intel?  What the what?  Sure, it's ill suited to some workloads due to the oddness of cache latency and inter-core communication...but holy jeebus.

I cannot wait to get my hands on the test boxes showing up at work in the next week or so.  I/O monsters for sure with memory bandwidth to spare if you don't need high concurrence between many threads.

Yeah I like the anandtech website for some deep server articles you cant get really anywhere else. I think AMD has something going for it, but if the Threadripper comes with AIO coolers and I can only suspect that the Epyc is going to need some serious cooling and that won't happen in 1U or 2U racks.

Did you read the article?  Standard 2U box with dual 32 core Epyc chips.  Nothing exotic in terms of cooling.  Threadripper uses a lot more power because it's clocked to the moon in comparison and Zen was designed for the lower volts/clocks that are seen in Epyc.

I for one am thrilled that AMD is seriously back in the game.  Whom with a fond heart can't remember the glory days of AMD desktop processors like the XP 2600 Thoroughbred A/B.  Takes me back to the days of NF4 chipsets affixed to DFI LanParty motherboards.  

I know that the particular article concerns Server class processors, but by all accounts the Ryzen looks pretty solid as well and eventually this technology has to bleed down to the consumer level right.................

I for one am thrilled that AMD is seriously back in the game.  Whom without a fond heart can't remember the glory days of AMD desktop processors like the XP 2600 Thoroughbred A/B.  Takes me back to the DFI glory days of NF4 chipsets affixed to DFI LanParty motherboards.  

I know that the particular article concerns Server class processors, but by all accounts the Ryzen looks pretty solid as well and eventually this technology has to bleed down to the consumer level right.................

Ditto!  I have an NF4 DFI board hanging on the wall. :D  It's a Phenom II board, but still. :)

The server chips are literally four Ryzen chips ganged together on one package...and they're ludicrously efficient compared to even Intel's best chips when running at reasonable speeds.

I still have my collection of AMD chips.

2100+ Palamino

1700+ DLT3C Tbred-B (clocked to 2.4 GHz like nothing with a socket mod and a razor blade)

2600+ Mobile Barton (unlocked)

Athlon 64s of multiple flavors

Opterons (first gen Athlon 64 based, single and dual core versions, all delidded)

My first Intel chip that I paid for was a Celeron 800 that I ran at 1.2 GHz, prior to any of those AMD chips.

My second Intel chip was after *all* of those AMD chips and it was a Q6600. :lol:

I'm feeling the need for a new AMD rig...

I started out with Durons and moved up to the XP1500, Multiple 1700+, an Xp 2500 I think and lastly a pair of San Diego 3700's and an Opteron dual core before paying for my first Intel chips. I think they were a 3.0C and a 2.4C.  AMD's Ryzen stuff is pretty snappy! . 

I found a box last week in the shop,.. with some first-gen Athlon chips and old L1 bridges,.. plus my old Duron 600 (Thunderbird/Spitfire) chip with golden finger tool,.. that brought back some fond memory's.  

Edited by Braegnok

• 1 month later...