Workstation, Folding Rig, and Photos

scr4wl

Made some computers, here are some pictures:

First is a workstation build I just recently did. Unfortunately I don't get to use this computer ever, but I like the way it turned out.

20170607_105305_zpsjggfw0lw.jpg

Next is the folding machine, which I do get to play with. This was built (Well, is still in the process of being built) mostly to experiment with FLDC. It should be up and running tomorrow, and will just run an equihash solver until the 1st. The first 1080TI almost did not fit with the Noctua cooler!

20170628_155302_zps4fw5gqkd.jpg

20170628_161920_zpskl1leasb.jpg

I'm a little nervous about how hot those cards are gonna get being located so close together. It will be in a constantly air conditioned room though, so we will see I guess. Normally I would have used risers and spaced the cards farther apart. This is what I do with my very unattractive (semi temporary) mini mining farm (photo below), and it seems to keep the cards quite a bit cooler (although it's not cool by any means lol).

20170627_174635_zpsr8vx9ccq.jpg

Worst case scenario, if the cards run way to hot sitting side by side, I will just pull the guts out and set everything up with risers and appropriate spacing. I just wanted to go for aesthetics with this one ;)

Will update once i have the folding machine all wired up and running.

Looks sweet with 4x 1080 TI cards. You should really consider putting some rubber pads or electrical tape on that CPU cooler edges, because if it touches from sagging you will short out the card. For the 4 card stack, just do what roadrunner did and put a fan directly over the middle. Might be best of a pull instead of push to move the air away.

You should really consider putting some rubber pads or electrical tape on that CPU cooler edges, because if it touches from sagging you will short out the card.

You can barely see it in the photos, but I cut out a piece of plastic (With many holes for airflow) and wedged it between the cooler and the first card for that very reason ;)

EDIT: I hadn't put it in yet when I took the first pic, but you can see it in the second if you look towards the bottom right of the cooler where it almost comes into contact with the card.

Edited by scr4wl

Looks great those cards are going to get real hot in there like that they really need some room to breath.. I got a feeling you may be doing the last picture...

Edited by road-runner

Turns out that Thermaltake PSU was DOA. Spent a good 6 hours swapping out literally everything until I was finally able to get it to post with an 850w unit.

I have a 1500watter on the way, should be here on tuesday, till the I have to wait :(

You can at least run 2 cards while you wait with that 850 unit.

I may end up doing this.., well something similar. Unfortunately that 850W unit was borrowed from a different machine and needed to go back where it came from. I do have several slots in various other computers the cards can go in for the meantime though.., just have to get around to it lol!

As others have said those cards will need to breathe. As long as you get cool air going in your should be good. In a full on stack like that reference or Founders Edition cards would do the best thermally. They dump all the heat outside the chassis and all you have to do is provide airflow over the cards to keep the heat dump down. 

Well the PSU arrived and as everyone said, having the cards stacked like that did not work at all LOL. 

Right now I have two inside the case, and two attached via risers. I have not had time to set up folding yet, so all four cards are running equihash right now.

It looks like I'll be doing away with the case and just running the whole thing open air.

I'll post some pictures tonight.

When I needed a new motherboard to replace one of the old x58 rigs I went the cheap route a GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z97X-Gaming 3 LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard and a Core i3-4170 Haswell Dual-Core worked gret for two cards

Edited by road-runner

Here is how it is running now. Everything is still 100% stock, running debian, and getting ~2700sol/s on equihash.

20170703_163010_zpszvvpi1zh.jpg

Temps are much much lower this way.