ASUS Targeting Miners With Upcoming GPUs

CheeseMan42

news40996_1-asus_targeting_miners_with_u

A recent uptick in the popularity of the Ethereum mining project has led to some scarcity in new and used video cards, and now manufacturers and planning to offer cards targeted specifically at miners. Video cards had previously lost their appeal to the mining community as ASICs designed for mining provided more return on investment and lower operating costs. ASUS has announced an offering based on both AMD and NVIDIA GPUs, the MINING RX 470 and MINING P106, respectively. The RX 470 has a base speed of 926MHz and boost speed of 1206MHz with 4GB of GDDR5 and was designed for "delivering maximum hash-rate production at minimum cost." The P106 is based on a GeForce GTX 1060 and has a base clock of 1506MHz and boost clock of 1708MHz with 6GB of GDDR5. The RX 470 has a single DVI port while the P106 has none. According to ASUS, these optimized cards will offer up to "36% uplift in its megahash rate compared to non-optimized gaming cards."

Source: Hot Hardware

news40996_2-asus_targeting_miners_with_u

Back to original news post

It'll be interesting to see if you really do get that extra 36% for less money.., dunno how I feel about removing the display ports though. Kinda takes away from the resell value imo.

Video cards had previously lost their appeal to the mining community as ASICs designed for mining provided more return on investment and lower operating costs.

This is kind of irrelevant. These new cards won't be more attractive than ASICs. Video cards have always been attractive for mining coins which are "ASIC resistant", and these new cards won't change that.

In my opinion, the release of these cards is just a marketing stunt, and the overall relative value of these cards will be less than a "normal" card.

If they sold the cards cheaper and allowed for possible SLI configurations than it could have some resell value. Right now I dont see any reason to buy these cards because you can never resell them, plus they cost as much or more than one with video outputs.