Ryzen Or This... I need your help in a decision... Please help!

craigsnepa

OK, I didn't know where to post this, so I put it in the build section, as they are both builds, lol.

I just finished a b350, 1700X, 16GB Build. Works fantastic, and 4.0Ghz overclocked. 

Here is the dilemma:

A friend of mine gave me his "old" pc. He is building a new intel X299 system and has the $$ so I figure let him, lol.

His old PC is a Gigabyte X79-UD3 socket 2011 with Intel i7 3820 in it. 16GB DDR3 in quad channel. With corsair liquid cooling, solid state, yada yada.

He wiped the hard drive on it and it is like new, just needs windows installed.

I got it for free and he threw in a brand new sealed 480GB SSD that he was planning on putting into it as well. 

My question is, should I send back the ryzen parts to newegg and basically just use the 3820 machine? I only do gaming and sometimes video encoding. I would be putting in my GTX 1080 card, and was wondering if maybe the card might be bottlenecked by the X79 platform. 

I am basically thinking of getting my refunds on the ryzen system, and use this one until threadripper might be announced and at that point make a decision, as I may have built the 1700x system a little pre-maturely. Not sure.

What are your thoughts? Will there be a noticeable difference in system speed do you think?? I honestly do web-browsing and gaming (2-3 hours per week). My job and family takes up the remaining hours in the week, lol.

Or.... Should I just part out the X79 system on ebay and make some money back since the board, chip, and memory are all like new still??

I would say if you're seriously thinking of switching to a new platform in 6 months time returning the Ryzen stuff would be good as the X79 platform while "old" isn't dead by any means and will do just fine with a GTX 1080. The CPU kinda sucks in that it's just a quad core and isn't a K sku making overclocking options limited (though you should be able to OC it a bit with BCLK tricks like switching to 125mhz default vs 100 and toying with the multiplier.  

However Ryzen has a feature set more in line with the current gen Intel parts and seeing as your use case is light gaming and some productivity I see nothing offered by Threadripper/x299 that the 1700X isn't good for and unlike x79 you've got access to more newer I/O standards like M.2. So if you're NOT planning on starting over in a few months I would just keep the Ryzen setup and sell off the X79 gear.  

Another note is assuming a Newegg purchase on the 1700x it isn't refundable. Only replacements offered on most CPUs so factor that into the decision too.

Off the record I've been doing benchmarks with a GTX 1070 on my 3960X which is basically a 3930K and the numbers are very close to a i7-7700k which beats the Ryzen 1800 in most games (that use 4 cores or less). The system is far from dead for gaming. However the X79 is pain to setup for Windows 10, no M.2 slots and only 2 SATA 6 ports. Not bad for that time period, kinda annoying now. But free is always good! The Ryzen will crush any 2011(v1/v2) chip for video encoding, but its not a big factor anymore with CUDA and OpenCL doing the heavy lifting. I was getting 900FPS encoding H.264 with Adobe Premiere.

The GTX 1080 will not be bottlenecked, however you want to invest in some faster ram than 1333, as the article I did recently shows for DDR3 memory speed has a higher impact on games. I would keep this X79 for a year and than sell it once Ryzen has fully matured.

Thank you guys for the info. I actually think I will use the x79 until there are some good reviews on the threadripper once it comes out. Too bad OCC doesn't take donations, lol. I would donate this X79 once I build my new threadripper. I figure if I can pay it forward, I would.

I was able to get a 3820 to 5Ghz when I reviewed it and still have the chip. the OC key was to use the gear ratios and bclock overclocking that will get you there. However I think that a 1700X is going to be faster in multi threaded apps. 

I take don

Too bad OCC doesn't take donations, lol. I would donate this X79 once I build my new threadripper. I figure if I can pay it forward, I would.

I take donations :)

The 1700X is going to be faster in most things practically everything, and if you can't return the CPU than it may be a deal breaker. You can get a few hundred for a X79 system on ebay. My only augment is you cant beat free !

I can return the CPU Thanks to buying it from walmart.com when it was on sale for $299. I have 15 days it says, and thankfully can return it by then. I cant beat the free system I don't think (and a brand new 480GB SSD to boot! lol). I guess I can sell the X79 on ebay, but with threadripper right around the corner, I might as well get my money back, and use the X79 in the meantime. At least it should last until threadripper shows its face and if its even worthwhile to get. If its way too expensive, I can always rebuild a ryzen 1700X system im sure for the same cost, if not, maybe a little cheaper. 

I take don

Too bad OCC doesn't take donations, lol. I would donate this X79 once I build my new threadripper. I figure if I can pay it forward, I would.

I take donations :)

Well, once my new build gets taken care of (hopefully threadripper), you pay shipping lol

Sounds like a solid plan overall, considering no cost to take the CPU back to Walmart (That return policy at Newegg bothers me at times and leads to buying CPUs at Amazon for customer builds when they can't make up their mind)