what power supply would be needed for a loaded threadripper?

Was just wondering what behemoth power supply would be needed for a threadripper, multi vega,multi hd multi m.2,boat load of ram and lord knows what else.Would this thing need dual power supplies and dedicated receptacle in the wall  with its own 30 amp breaker?

top RX Vega is rumored to need 300 watts  prolly more specially if its water cooled.

Just wondering theoretically.Say if it was a bit coin or folding rig then gaming on off times.24/7ish

Well the three Threadripper variants are rated from 125, 144 and 155TDP from the stuff I've found listed. Add 50watts for a OC and you are looking at 200 for the CPU alone. Maybe even higher if you are really pushing it. Say the Vega uses 255 like the 1080TI or even 300 stock, add 50-100watts for OC, that's 600watts. The rest of the system just tack on 125watts even though it would probably be less. That 750watts for a single card system. A 15Amp breaker is 1800Watts. If these TDP numbers are true than a good 850watts EVGA, Corsair or Seasonic PSU will do the job. 1000 watts if you want to headroom.

Well the three Threadripper variants are rated from 125, 144 and 155TDP from the stuff I've found listed. Add 50watts for a OC and you are looking at 200 for the CPU alone. Maybe even higher if you are really pushing it. Say the Vega uses 255 like the 1080TI or even 300 stock, add 50-100watts for OC, that's 600watts. The rest of the system just tack on 125watts even though it would probably be less. That 750watts for a single card system. A 15Amp breaker is 1800Watts. If these TDP numbers are true than a good 850watts EVGA, Corsair or Seasonic PSU will do the job. 1000 watts if you want to headroom.

Well I was typing something more or less like that

Pretty much Vega probably wont draw any more power than the 290x/390x cards as that was more than most people were happy with, and the EPYC server chips AMD is releasing top at 200w TDP so unless they OC like crazy and need major voltage to do it and Hawaii to Vega is far worse than Kepler to Pascal in energy efficiency 1000w should still be plenty for any normal two card setup.  Now when you start talking mining that's a whole different market as cramming 7 GPUs together you COULD top 2000w but that's already the case with some dedicated mining rigs.

We just don't know for certain until parts are released.  It's pretty easy to figure out what you need once it's been tested but right now it's all a guess.

That's cool.I was just wondering/mulling it around in my head if I'd needed to run a dedicated circuit for the pc and monitors.

Reason for asking is I'm Seriously thinking about firing up the 3d programs and making stuff to sell  in the not too distant future plus record some bass riffs for stepsons band. 

A threadrdripper with a video card or two looks like it would fit the bill nicely. And when not doing the 3d stuff I could set it to mine and fold.May even try and squeeze in a little gaming.

I have 2 dedicated circuits in my testing room and I have yet to trip a breaker. Both are 20 amp circuits with 12 guage wire. I have run upwards of 4 cards and a 10 core CPU overclocked without any issues. The room gets hot but not over drawing the outlet.    

Makes me feel a lot better bout power draw and the breakers.I've already put two 20amp breakers and ran 12 gauge wire feeding opposite sides of the room when remodeling  the room. So it seems that there may not need to run another.I can just use the circuit that doesn't have the 10,000 btu window AC unit.Room doesn't  go above 70 degrees max.Even when it's 90+degrees outside.

If you have a 750W PSU rated 80 Gold, and it actually get to 750W then it would actually be pulling 937 watts which translates to an actual 7.8 amps

If you have a 1000W PSU rated 80 Gold, and it actually get to 1000W then it would actually be pulling 1.250 watts which translates to an actual 10.4 amps

For the system you describe I doubt if you will get to 600W for a single graphics card even if over clocked.

The only way to be accurate is to borrow somebody's amp meter and take a reading.

Yes, I have one and no you can not borrow it :wave: 

Edited by AkakmanH

If you have a 750W PSU rated 80 Gold, and it actually get to 750W then it would actually be pulling 937 watts which translates to an actual 7.8 amps

If you have a 1000W PSU rated 80 Gold, and it actually get to 1000W then it would actually be pulling 1.250 watts which translates to an actual 10.4 amps

For the system you describe I doubt if you will get to 600W for a single graphics card even if over clocked.

The only way to be accurate is to borrow somebody's amp meter and take a reading.

Yes, I have one and no you can not borrow it :wave:

Awwww c'mon Help a friend out LOL!