New Ryzen Build. Newb Question here about M.2

craigsnepa

I am just building a new ryzen 7 1700x system, 16gb ddr4,  gtx 1080, a blu ray drive, and a 3TB Storage drive on an asrock b350 fatal1ty board. I am not planning on overclocking the cpu just yet. I have a Samsung SM951 M2 ssd for it. I also see there is another M2 slot at the bottom of the motherboard. I don't want to raid or anything but I was thinking of picking up another m2 drive for just a scratch storage drive or maybe for some steam games. From what I read, it says on the manual only regarding the first m2, which will disable pci-e number 4. Will I have enough pci-e lanes  or whatever to run two m2 properly without bottlenecking the main ultra m2 drive??

Edited by craigsnepa

I think the second m.2 (lower one) uses sata instead of pcie.M2_2 and SATA3_3 share lanes. If either one of them is in use, the other one will be disabled.

Edited by wildman2

So it should be OK to run then? Would I be gimping performance of the second drive? I guess it would be limited to sata 3 speeds then? Or should I get a PCI-E 2.0 Adapter and toss it in an empty pci-e x4 slot? and use the M2 SSD to get better performance?

Edited by craigsnepa

Second m.2 drive (lower one) is going to run at sataIII 6Gbps                                                                                                                                                         If you plan on using it buy a sata3 m.2 device for a scratch drive It really doesn't need to be that big GB wise unless you put the steam games on it. Depending on how much hd space you need I'd check prices of reg ssd sataIII 6Gbps to see how they compare to the m.2 type sataIII ones.May be more cost effective no need to spend more for same speed.Unless hd space in the case is a problem.

The only x4 slot(if using apu) that I can see is the one that will be disabled when using the m.2_1(upper)

The rest are x1 4 of them.and the x16 for video card.

M.2_1 should go directly to cpu m.2_2 goes to b350 chipset I believe.I doubt it will bottle neck m.2_1 drive.