New Build Problem

steelchizzle

Hello all I am super happy to be back on OCC its been so long I am back for good hopefully.

OK so I have a problem you guys might be able to help me with. I will post any up dates and solutions after I figure it out and hopefully some one as well will benefit besides me. 

I recently bought some parts and built a powerful enough pc ( Perfect for my needs).

Now the recommended PSU for this motherboard is 400W I only have 300W which might explain part of my problem.And YES I KNOW I need a new more power full one.

So I boot up linux mint - no problems booting perhaps a bit slow. After booted I open a browser and notice its slow for the machine driving it , so I continue to play random youtube videos

and its like the system feels slow or sloppy , in the mean time I pluged in my external drive to do a back up so I was copying around 40gb at 26/26Mbs and I noticed the system became very slow and glitchy and eventually hung.

The cooling is a little warm but the heat sink is the stock heat sink and I am not overclocking or anything mad - the setup is pure standard out of the box kinda thing. 

I have not tested the hard ware yet but I presume the hardware is perfect as its from a trusted source but it will be tested later tonight. 

My opinion is the power supply is not power full enough, my observation was when I started copying over data to my external their was a big increase lack of stability and was very slow.

Also when booting even off a standard hhd it was slow considering I was booting into Linux Mint.

I think it is either the PSU not throwing out enough power or their is a fault in the hardware some where.

As I said I will be testing everything later tonight so I will be back on here then to share .

Any sort of insight would be amazing guys. 

Here are some specs.

Motherboard : Asus p5Q Dulexe

Processor : Intel Quad Q6600

Ram : Cant remember Model but quality 8Gb I think its Transcend 

Graphics : Nvidia GT220 

PSU : A load of **** : 300 Watts 

2 x HHD Drives and a external that time I was using it.

First thing to do is get a proper psu and work from there, you won't get great data transfer speeds because the mb is sata 2 and not sata 3 so if you put a sata 3 hd in it you won't see any benifit from it. Also try it with just 1 hhd and no external drive and if it has onboard video take out the video card, all of this will remove strain from the 300 watt psu and it might boot faster.

From my experience power supplies are all or nothing. So unless you are getting locks up from voltage drops I don't think it is your PSU. Seems to me like your hard drive is at fault. either the wrong drivers / no drivers or a dying drive. Linux is strange like that. I've had times where it ran flawlessly and than the next reinstall someone the chipset drivers are wrong.

You already said it mosty. When the hard drive runs tasks than it slows down. Which points to a drive or driver issue.

Hey lads sorry for the delay on the reply I've been busy . And I didn't want to go testing anything without a proper psu as I thought I could damage what I have.

Ok so an update. I went to a mates place and got his 1000 watt psu and threw it in and also striped down everything to the minimum so just one hard drive and all the other essentials. 

We tested the voltage levels which were perfect and went through the bios and sorted as much as we could out.  We took the heat sink off the graphics card and reapplied some new thermal paste. 

We tested all the hardware with dos software so thats the mobo cpu and ram and gpu , I didn't test the hard drive from dos because I didn't have my software with me. 

So  all checked out fine and also the temperature at this point is perfect the cpu was only around 26 but  this is in dos mode so.

Finally we threw a ssd into it with windows 10 installed. Windows 10 automatically detects new hardware changes and applies the relevant drivers if it can so that was handy. Windows did as it promised so first boot was sluggish enough but after it had installed the drivers and configured its self it was flying it.

So now that we had some what of a system going we did more testing.

We did stress tests with one of the most famous software package  I cant remember the name of it but it had a green Icon and had like three or four letters in its name with a "5" in it, any way yeah tested the **** out of it and it  was perfect the temperature levels was solid enough around 64 it eventually reached 68 over a lot of time but never reached passed 70 hence cpu at its max as well , any way this would be way more than what I would ever use so I was happy.

So that is all the  hardware tested with a ssd and its good.

So now I throw back in my psu and re did all the testing , all of the voltage levels were the same and we did the same stress testing and the results were the same and we left this test a good while longer and it was fine.

So that is nearly every thing tested at this stage, one last thing is to test my hard drive with all the new configuration and also with the 1000watt psu and yup same problem really slow and hangs, glitched. 

The blame is on the hard drive right ? I later go to testing the hard drive I was using and did smart tests and all , we also did a quick test before and found one bad sector but sure like one bad sector I dont think will cause that bad a problem randomly like since it was running fine but any ways......  so I tested my hard drive while installing WINDOWS on to another ( I need windows for work :(  ) , my hard drive tested perfectly as I expected and passed all the tests.

When windows 7 finished installing on the other drive I installed all the drivers and it seemed to be perfect and very responsive.   So apparently Linux Mint was to blame ? Its looking like it any way. Id like to do a fresh install of mint later just for the laugh and see how it goes.

Let me know your opinions please.

Or any questions ask away - I cant remember the voltage levels any more the cpu was around .125 I think after that i am lost.

I will be installing some low demanding games later like GTA the older ones and that so ill post a status when I do.

Thanks for all the help !!